So on my kitchen cabinet build, there is a bank of 6 drawers, frameless full overlay cabinets, undermount soft close slides that mount to the inside walls of the carcass.

I measured, twice even,  and told myself not to make this mistake (since I almost made it on another bank of drawers which I did properly.)...  but I messed it up anyway!

I made the front and backs of all 6 boxes in this particular drawer bank too short - essentially I made the outer dimensions (left to right) what the inner dimension needed to be to fit over the slides.

I'm hemming and hawing between going out and buying more maple, acclimating it, milling it down and making new fronts and backs for these 6 drawers, or just putting 3/8" spacers between the slides and the cabinet walls to make up for it. With the drawers closed you'd never know the difference.. with them open, I suppose if you were looking for it, you'd see it..  what to do.. what to do...

(11-16-2022, 06:29 PM)mound Wrote: So on my kitchen cabinet build, there is a bank of 6 drawers, frameless full overlay cabinets, undermount soft close slides that mount to the inside walls of the carcass.

I measured, twice even,  and told myself not to make this mistake (since I almost made it on another bank of drawers which I did properly.)...  but I messed it up anyway!

I made the front and backs of all 6 boxes in this particular drawer bank too short - essentially I made the outer dimensions (left to right) what the inner dimension needed to be to fit over the slides.

I'm hemming and hawing between going out and buying more maple, acclimating it, milling it down and making new fronts and backs for these 6 drawers, or just putting 3/8" spacers between the slides and the cabinet walls to make up for it. With the drawers closed you'd never know the difference.. with them open, I suppose if you were looking for it, you'd see it..  what to do.. what to do...

I've done that too! If you are planning to make other draws down the line I would say do it over. If not, use the spacers. 3/8th will never be seen as you mentioned. 

No worries, I will keep your secret. 
Laugh
Thanks I think I agree. There are other drawers to be made but none directly adjacent to these, so the whole bank at least would look the same
Use the spacers--They're all the same so only you will notice. You'll forget about it after they're in use for a while.

gary
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone

(11-16-2022, 07:32 PM)shoottmx Wrote: Use the spacers--They're all the same so only you will notice. You'll forget about it after they're in use for a while.

gary

I'd use the spacers, too... but I'd never forget it.  
Laugh
Doing the spacers is not a bad idea. However, in the long term, it might make you feel better to do a redo. If you do the latter, rether than remaking the whole drawer, just replace the fronts, backs, and bottoms. It is pretty easy to cut off the fronts and backs at the corner joints. It is even easier if you have false fronts. Of course, you will have to recut the joints, but you will have to do that if you redo the whole drawer, Depending on what the bottoms are made of, you might be able to edge glue some widening strips and save most of the material.
Yah that’s why I’m going back and forth. At this point, but for the lack of more prepared material (totally out of maple), I’ve only so far cut the tails in the sides (which are fine) and the pins on one box - at which point I dry fit it in the cabinet and noticed the mistake which affects them all since I batch cut them all to length…haven’t even made the bottom panels yet. So I could either finish dovetailing and make bottoms for them all - 3/4 too narrow - or mill down new maple and make new front and back blanks before proceeding., that probably is the “correct” solution it just adds cost and time.

Edit: yes these are false fronts - that’s all fine it’s just the box width that’s the issue.

(11-16-2022, 09:10 PM)mound Wrote: Yah that’s why I’m going back and forth. At this point, but for the lack of more prepared material (totally out of maple), I’ve only so far cut the tails in the sides (which are fine) and the pins on one box - at which point I dry fit it in the cabinet and noticed the mistake which affects them all since I batch cut them all to length…haven’t even made the bottom panels yet. So I could either finish dovetailing and make bottoms for them all - 3/4 too narrow - or mill down new maple and make new front and back blanks before proceeding.,  that probably is the “correct” solution it just adds cost and time.

Edit: yes these are false fronts - that’s all fine it’s just the box width that’s the issue.

Add the spacers.  I had to rebuild a cabinet and because of supply chain issues had to use different slides and add 1.5" spacers to the cabinet to make them work.  The drawer dimensions reduced an inch from side to side and the whole build caused a lot of stress.  The cabinets were an hour away from the shop.  Go with the easy fix no one will know it wasn't exactly what you wanted except you and once you start using them I am betting your concern will fade
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

For me the answer is easy. Since you haven't glued up anything yet and you haven't cut the bottoms, buy enough material to redo the fronts and backs and make them the proper dimensions. I might even consider using a front and back to splice a longer piece for one end (probably the back) and then you only have to buy new for the other end. Actually, since you have false fronts, I might do that for both fronts and backs. You might even have enough scraps to do that without buying anything new..
In our house I do most of the cooking and it would bug me every time I opened one of those drawers. I'd get more material and redo. You've done such a nice job in that space what's a few more bucks? 
Winkgrin
measure twice and still mess it up!