All, 

Our downstairs smoke detector is going off in the middle of the night for a reason I cannot discern. 

It started happening around the first of October or so.  It goes off in the middle of the night (always in the middle of the night), and it is a full alarm, typically triggering the other detectors in the house.  Most times, it only sounds one alarm and then stops.  However, there have been times where it is has been through multiple alarms. 

After doing some reading, I first changed the batteries in it, which did not fix it. 

I then read that this could be a sign of the detector being faulty; I replaced the detector.  We had no problems for about two weeks, but it is now going off again at around 1am - 2am. 

I also had the detector disconnected for about 10 days until I got a new one delivered and installed, and there were no alarms during that time.   Consequently, I feel pretty sure it is with this detector.

I'm not sure where to go next with this...anyone go any thoughts?

Matt

Have you changed your HVAC filters lately ?  If your air is dusty , that can set off detectors.  

Though I can’t see that problem occurring at nite when the system is off or not running frequently and no one is moving about.  

Are you certain the “new” batteries are good?

(11-22-2022, 08:18 AM)Cabinet Monkey Wrote: Have you changed your HVAC filters lately ?  If your air is dusty , that can set off detectors.  

Though I can’t see that problem occurring at nite when the system is off or not running frequently and no one is moving about.  

Yes, filters are changed every three months, and I've changed them during the course of this issue. 

On the battery, no, I'm not 100% sure. 

Matt
(11-22-2022, 08:18 AM)Cabinet Monkey Wrote: Have you changed your HVAC filters lately ?  If your air is dusty , that can set off detectors.  

In our Texas house the smoke detector for the master bedroom was just inside the door, maybe 18" from the return air in the hall celiing.  The kitchen detector was maybe 18" from the same return air.  The one in the bedroom went off often enough that I finally took it out and we lived without that one for 8 or nine years.  It didn't take much cooking to set the kitchen one off, particularly if it involved frequent opening of the oven.   I can't help but think that giant return return air was to blame.  

I replaced all the detectors before we sold the house.  The one in the master went off in a few days.  
No
Start there; then.   But, they may just be worn out.
Detectors are good for 7/10 years or thereabouts. When 1 goes bad, replace them all if you’re near the 7/10 year mark. You can usually identify a bad detector with a red light instead of solid green from below. Yes, always change the battery first. Also, make sure to hold the test/reset button after changing a battery or installing a new detector. They will sound for 3-5 seconds, then stop. All indicator light should be green at that point..

(11-22-2022, 03:38 PM)Kansas City Fireslayer Wrote: Detectors are good for 7/10 years or thereabouts.  When 1 goes bad, replace them all if you’re near the 7/10 year mark.  You can usually identify a bad detector with a red light instead of solid green from below.  Yes, always change the battery first. Also, make sure to hold the test/reset button after changing a battery or installing a new detector.  They will sound for 3-5 seconds, then stop.  All indicator light should be green at that point..

I have a very brief flashing red light on all of the detectors, amongst a number of green flashes.  I'm under the impression that is normal; is that not the case?

Matt

(11-22-2022, 05:16 PM)matthewstimp Wrote: I have a very brief flashing red light on all of the detectors, amongst a number of green flashes.  I'm under the impression that is normal; is that not the case?

Matt

I believe that's a trouble code. Might do some googling. I had what I thought was a bad detector. 3 hard wired detectors. One kept going off. I swapped them around. The one I put in the same location went off. It was the location, not the detector. I don't understand why... the red wire is the communication wire (iirc). Replaced all the detectors and it fixed the issue.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(11-22-2022, 05:46 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: I believe that's a trouble code. Might do some googling. I had what I thought was a bad detector. 3 hard wired detectors. One kept going off. I swapped them around. The one I put in the same location went off. It was the location, not the detector. I don't understand why... the red wire is the communication wire (iirc). Replaced all the detectors and it fixed the issue.

Interesting...ok, maybe I'll just replace them all...not like it is bad money spent. 

Matt
I've replaced mine every ten years and the last time was a few months ago. New units, new batteries and of the 15 or so that were new -- two consistently would go off with a spurious alarm.

These were hardwired, with the interconnect. This never happened before. I was completely puzzled and figured I'd bought a bad unit or two. Bought two replacements. Same thing - they'd go off with a short spurious alarm.

Sometimes it would be **days** before they'd go off.

Out of frustration, I cut the interconnect wire in those two rooms.

They've been fine ever since.
This is the third "batch" of new alarms - the other 30 or so never had this problem.

I came to the conclusion that Kidde did something to the electronics and f'd them up
“Almost no one is ever insulted into agreement.”

Smoke Detector Issue