Question 
Does anyone own the South Bend SB1099 - 3 HP Cyclone Dust Collector?

And if so how do you like it?

https://www.grizzly.com/products/south-b...tor/sb1099

I have low 86" high ceilings in my garage shop and this unit is 81" high. Most of the 2 or 3hp machines are too high for my shop. I really liked Laguna but they are too high.

I want to cry once, and upgrade, so don't want to have to do this again. I want to have some idea if South Bend has decent quality, reliability, and fit and finish. I could only find two reviews on it, on the Grizzly site.

(11-22-2022, 11:42 AM)davco Wrote: Does anyone own the South Bend SB1099 - 3 HP Cyclone Dust Collector?

And if so how do you like it?

https://www.grizzly.com/products/south-b...tor/sb1099

I have low 86" high ceilings in my garage shop and this unit is 81" high.  Most of the 2 or 3hp machines are too high for my shop. I really liked Laguna but they are too high.

I want to cry once, and upgrade, so don't want to have to do this again.  I want to have some idea if South Bend has decent quality, reliability, and fit and finish.  I could only find two reviews on it, on the Grizzly site.

When I was working on my  "cry once" dust collection solution, I eliminated all "short cone" cyclones because I read too many stories about how they don't separate well and end up clogging the filters.  Based on my research, I concluded that to get adequate air flow, I needed either a 4hp+ cyclone or a bag collector with >= 13" impeller.  I came to that conclusion because I found people who could do accurate airflow measurements and said systems like that would work.  At the time I narrowed it down to

Powermatic PM1900
Felder AF22
ClearVue Cyclone
Grizzly G0441 / G0442
Oneida Dust Gorilla

For the machines where I could find it, plotting the fan curves on top of each other was very instructive.

Cyclones rely on the laws of physics, which nobody can change.  Really the cyclones we use should be even taller than what we typically install. Cotton gins, which have similar, but much larger, air handling requirements, rely on very tall cyclones:  https://www.researchgate.net/publication...otton_Gins  So all of the cyclones you see for hobby woodworking are a compromise to try to reduce the height or noise or both.

Of those machines, the PM1900 with canisters will fit under your ceiling.  The Felder might also fit,  I'm not sure.  Since you are venting outside, filters should work fine at long as you can put the dust collector in a sealed room.

I also considered Oneida Supercell, which wins the size race, but it's basically a huge shop vac and I was concerned it would leak like all shop vacs end up doing.

Harvey has a "dust processor" which is very short, but when I looked at it, the air flow numbers were pretty puny.

Felder also has some very expensive, short dust extractors (RL-xxx).

The big problem with dust collection is that air flow is difficult to measure.  So a lot of people will say, "I have X and it works great!" but it's much harder get numbers behind that.

Mark

(11-22-2022, 11:04 PM)MarkWells Wrote: When I was working on my  "cry once" dust collection solution, I eliminated all "short cone" cyclones because I read too many stories about how they don't separate well and end up clogging the filters.  Based on my research, I concluded that to get adequate air flow, I needed either a 4hp+ cyclone or a bag collector with >= 13" impeller.  I came to that conclusion because I found people who could do accurate airflow measurements and said systems like that would work.  At the time I narrowed it down to

Powermatic PM1900
Felder AF22
ClearVue Cyclone
Grizzly G0441 / G0442
Oneida Dust Gorilla

For the machines where I could find it, plotting the fan curves on top of each other was very instructive.

Cyclones rely on the laws of physics, which nobody can change.  Really the cyclones we use should be even taller than what we typically install. Cotton gins, which have similar, but much larger, air handling requirements, rely on very tall cyclones:  https://www.researchgate.net/publication...otton_Gins  So all of the cyclones you see for hobby woodworking are a compromise to try to reduce the height or noise or both.

Of those machines, the PM1900 with canisters will fit under your ceiling.  The Felder might also fit,  I'm not sure.  Since you are venting outside, filters should work fine at long as you can put the dust collector in a sealed room.

I also considered Oneida Supercell, which wins the size race, but it's basically a huge shop vac and I was concerned it would leak like all shop vacs end up doing.

Harvey has a "dust processor" which is very short, but when I looked at it, the air flow numbers were pretty puny.

Felder also has some very expensive, short dust extractors (RL-xxx).

The big problem with dust collection is that air flow is difficult to measure.  So a lot of people will say, "I have X and it works great!" but it's much harder get numbers behind that.

Mark

This is proving to be hard. The one thing I like about my current setup is that it's vented outside, but the system is an underpowered 1 1/2 old Delta 50-760.  I have an Oneida Super Dust Deputy connected to it and it actually does chip separation quite well.  Now I'm thinking maybe I should do something drastic like put a new, higher hp motor on it and larger impeller and enlarge the inlet from 5" to 6".  The motor is probably going to go one of these days anyway.

(11-23-2022, 07:48 AM)davco Wrote: This is proving to be hard. The one thing I like about my current setup is that it's vented outside, but the system is an underpowered 1 1/2 old Delta 50-760.  I have an Oneida Super Dust Deputy connected to it and it actually does chip separation quite well.  Now I'm thinking maybe I should do something drastic like put a new, higher hp motor on it and larger impeller and enlarge the inlet from 5" to 6".  The motor is probably going to go one of these days anyway.

Check out this thread on the Australian forum:  https://www.woodworkforums.com/f200/gene...-dc-171247   That gives instructions to modify a 2HP unit to be more efficient.  My conclusion was that it's a whole lot of work and even then I wouldn't have a great collector.

Have you called ClearVue to ask them about your height?  Putting the motor up in the ceiling joists and building (or find) a collection bin that's the right height could work well.

https://www.clearvuecyclones.com/assembl...iagram.pdf

The cyclone plus blower and motor is 67" tall.  If you diidn't put the motor in the ceiling joists, then you have about 18-19" to play with for the collection bin height.  The collection bin can be anything that is strong enough and absolutely air tight.

Mark

(11-23-2022, 09:57 AM)MarkWells Wrote: Check out this thread on the Australian forum:  https://www.woodworkforums.com/f200/gene...-dc-171247   That gives instructions to modify a 2HP unit to be more efficient.  My conclusion was that it's a whole lot of work and even then I wouldn't have a great collector.

Have you called ClearVue to ask them about your height?  Putting the motor up in the ceiling joists and building (or find) a collection bin that's the right height could work well.

https://www.clearvuecyclones.com/assembl...iagram.pdf

The cyclone plus blower and motor is 67" tall.  If you diidn't put the motor in the ceiling joists, then you have about 18-19" to play with for the collection bin height.  The collection bin can be anything that is strong enough and absolutely air tight.

Mark

Thanks, I would really like to buy the CV1450, it would have to go up in the joists, and I would have to have a 15" high collection bin max. I've done the math and talked to their customer service.  It would vent outside nicely, be at a very good price point and be an excellent machine.  I guess I could try and devise a wide and shallow dustbin to make it work.

https://www.oneida-air.com/dust-collectors/personal-shops/v-system-3000-hepa-cyclone-dust-collector-v2019

This is 88" tall, cut a small hole in the ceiling if you need to gain a few inches. 

Id wager you would get much much better separation and performance over the southbend (or any "mini" cyclone). They also make it with a metal cyclone body, but since you're considering the CV I'm sure that doesn't matter much to you.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

(11-23-2022, 05:10 PM)packerguy® Wrote: https://www.oneida-air.com/dust-collectors/personal-shops/v-system-3000-hepa-cyclone-dust-collector-v2019

This is 88" tall, cut a small hole in the ceiling if you need to gain a few inches. 

Id wager you would get much much better separation and performance over the southbend (or any "mini" cyclone). They also make it with a metal cyclone body, but since you're considering the CV I'm sure that doesn't matter much to you.

Is there some rule of thumb about how much air space you need around the motor for cooling when you put it up in amongst the joists?
I have an older Penn State 2 1/2 HP unit that was a double bagger when I bought it 20+ years ago. Now has a Wynn filter on top and clear bag on the bottom with a "Stumpy Nubs" 5 gallon bucket/plastic garbage bag setup (Google him) on the bottom. It is sooooo much easier to empty!

I have a 6" main trunk line buried in the ceiling overhead, necking down to a 4" drop at a Rockler Dust Rite station. Flexibility works great for me.

I have a 6" intake at the impeller and the system is very efficient for my needs. I did not do any calculations before setting this up - just got lucky!

John T. is pretty well-versed on DC systems; hopefully he'll be along soon.

Doug
Does anyone own the South Bend SB1099 - 3 HP Cyclone Dust Collector?