Good ol' made in the USA Iron!

Interesting piece of equipment. I could not find his earlier videos showing how this saw works.

https://ythi.net/practice-spoken-eng...d5dPL3u0b4q8SI

(01-09-2023, 06:56 PM)Ray Newman Wrote: Good ol' made in the USA Iron!

Interesting piece of equipment. I could not find his earlier videos showing how this saw works.

This is a tilting top saw.  So, it may look impressive but they are impossible to use making a bevel cut and are dangerous if the table is tilted.

(01-09-2023, 07:44 PM)aquaticjim Wrote: This is a tilting top saw.  So, it may look impressive but they are impossible to use making a bevel cut and are dangerous if the table is tilted.

Have you watched any of his videos?  He makes bevel cuts with that saw.  He is a master crasftsman.  Being a wheelwright and coach builder requires woodworking, woodturning, metal work and blacksmithing skills.

(01-12-2023, 10:23 AM)crokett™ Wrote: Have you watched any of his videos?  He makes bevel cuts with that saw.  He is a master crasftsman.  Being a wheelwright and coach builder requires woodworking, woodturning, metal work and blacksmithing skills.

Add to this his sewing and upholstery skills as well.
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!
(01-09-2023, 06:56 PM)Ray Newman Wrote: Good ol' made in the USA Iron!

Interesting.
Years ago, 1985? or so, I was shown a saw that was 3 stories up, in a grain elevator of all places.
I think it was used for cutting boards for some of the small wooden bins that were still in place in various rooms.
Now this saw popped up out of the table, when you depressed a foot lever with your right foot.
Release the lever, and the blade retracted with spring pressure.

What I saw that would be unhandy, was the fact if you had a 10' board to rip, you need to be behind the saw at least 4', holding said 10' board up and on the table, while trying to reach and depress a foot lever. Nope, not good, unless your arms are 5' long. Lol

So anyways, we didn't even get to a price as I wasn't interested in the saw.
It has no cabinet underneath, just typical angle iron supports.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(01-10-2023, 07:35 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Interesting.
Years ago, 1985? or so, I was shown a saw that was 3 stories up, in a grain elevator of all places.
I think it was used for cutting boards for some of the small wooden bins that were still in place in various rooms.
Now this saw popped up out of the table, when you depressed a foot lever with your right foot.
Release the lever, and the blade retracted with spring pressure.

What I saw that would be unhandy, was the fact if you had a 10' board to rip, you need to be behind the saw at least 4', holding said 10' board up and on the table, while trying to reach and depress a foot lever. Nope, not good, unless your arms are 5' long. Lol

So anyways, we didn't even get to a price as I wasn't interested in the saw.
It has no cabinet underneath, just typical angle iron supports.

About 20 years ago I saw several of those sell at an auction.  Intended for cutoff/crosscut only and used in a large truss plant.  It was a bankruptcy auction where they actually went to the highest bidder, and they went cheap. I think 100 bucks each or so. Really long extension tables with rollers.  Load a stack of 2xs, roll over the blade on the mark and step on it, roll to next mark.  They also swiveled, sorta like a miter saw, to cut the angles on the truss members.
Very safe to use as the blade isn't exposed when not cutting and the operators hands never get close to it.

They even sold a truss press table that could plates on a truss. Huge and heavy frame, rolling platens and hyd cylinders, pumps and motors.

(01-11-2023, 02:18 PM)kencombs Wrote: About 20 years ago I saw several of those sell at an auction.  Intended for cutoff/crosscut only and used in a large truss plant.  It was a bankruptcy auction where they actually went to the highest bidder, and they went cheap. I think 100 bucks each or so. Really long extension tables with rollers.  Load a stack of 2xs, roll over the blade on the mark and step on it, roll to next mark.  They also swiveled, sorta like a miter saw, to cut the angles on the truss members.
Very safe to use as the blade isn't exposed when not cutting and the operators hands never get close to it.

They even sold a truss press table that could plates on a truss. Huge and heavy frame, rolling platens and hyd cylinders, pumps and motors.

Yep. Much newer saws than what I was looking at. That one had a standard fence for ripping, as well as cross cutting.

In fact, the Amish truss plant an hour away has one of those, plus the truss plate press.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I was most intrigued by the "blade change mechanism" on the saw.  I wouldn't want to use that saw, but it was neat to see.

"They don't make 'em like they used to."  I'm glad for that.  
Yes
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")
I built a lot of cabinets were I used to work they had a tilting top table saw. IT was 3 phase with a huge motor and a nice leather belt to drive the blade.  It was a real pain to do angle cuts but you could 45 through a 4X4 and it wouldn't stall out.  We didn't have 3 phase so we used a convertor with a floating motor.  I think he said he got it from an old school wood shop
(01-11-2023, 02:56 PM)fixtureman Wrote: I built a lot of cabinets were I used to work they had a tilting top table saw. IT was 3 phase with a huge motor and a nice leather belt to drive the blade.  It was a real pain to do angle cuts but you could 45 through a 4X4 and it wouldn't stall out.  We didn't have 3 phase so we used a convertor with a floating motor.  I think he said he got it from an old school wood shop

Wow.  I'm presuming that was a high school.

I was in high school shop, science, and chemistry classes in the early to mid-1970s; we got to do things and use tools and processes that simply would be unbelievable in today's schools.  But a big old saw like that in high school...  
Uhoh
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")
1908 Dual Arbor/2 Blade Table Saw