This is the old thin strip, face nailed red-oak flooring from the 60's...  There was a gallon jug of Poland Spring water that was apparently slow dripping into the wood floor for some number of weeks before we noticed yesterday that it had buckled like this.  Any hopes of it flatting itself out on its own as it dries? Anything I can do to help that correct itself or am I outta luck and will have to pull those boards, replace/sand/re-stain?
[attachment=45800][attachment=45799][attachment=45798]

From my experience and observations, they will lay back down after they dry out. A few years ago out local YMCA got flooded and the racquet ball courts buckled something awful. After a few weeks, they laid back down like nothing ever happened. In your case, I think I would pick up at least two boards just so they dry faster before you nail them back.
My 30+ year experience seeing this around the country is the exact opposite from Willy.

I have never seen a floor that has buckled lay back down to an acceptable level, NEVER.  Not once.   Sure they flatten a bit, but not to where they eliminate a trip hazard or look acceptable.   Atlanta, Charlotte, L.A, Miami, Nashville, Detroit, Birmingham, and Denver plus a few places you've never heard of.

I'm so intrigued that I might have to fly down to Mobile and see what Willy is using for floors and how they're installed.
Place your bets!  Hadn't thought of actually pulling those two boards out to let them dry with the intent of re-nailing them, that might be a good idea. I'll give it a few weeks and see what happens firs. The good news is it's in the corner of a room where nobody actually has any reason to walk, so it's not so much a trip hazard, but it sure is ugly.
I had a section of 3/4” WO flat sawn flooring that had mild buckling and raised edges—cupping. It laid back I down decent enough after a few weeks. I did put a fan on it for a couple days. There’s a heated basement underneath it. It’s not as perfect as a just sanded floor but you really can’t tell now. The water intake wasn’t too bad, just an overnight issue that was found in the morning from the clothes washer. I thought I’d have to resend it for sure. Just my experience.

Our kitchen is 3/4" oak flooring. The water line for the ice maker was dripping for a time, 

and buckled a few boards. I had to pull them, and remake them.

Sad
[Image: usa-flag-waving-united-states-of-america...if-clr.gif]
(01-11-2023, 09:24 AM)barnowl Wrote: Our kitchen is 3/4" oak flooring. The water line for the ice maker was dripping for a time, 

and buckled a few boards. I had to pull them, and remake them.

Sad

I had the exact same thing happen a few years ago. It's laid back down for the most part but not totally. It's right next to the wall so not very noticeable but still bugs me a bit. One of these days I might replace it but I have more important projects at the moment. If I were you I'd go ahead and replace it now.
I've had it go both ways. I had a 3/4" floor buckle a little, (not as bad as yours). It flattened out ok, not perfect, but like yours it was in an out of the way place behind a piece of furniture so I just let it be. I've also had 3/4" KDAT flooring that I put on a porch that got wet before I had a chance to seal it and it buckled a lot worse than yours. There were 3 boards on each side of the peak, the entire 23' run. It never did even get close to flattening out because all of the other boards shifted as the whole floor expanded. I got 5 of the six rows nailed down and had to rip a half inch off of one to get it back in place. I kills me because it looks bad and is in the middle and the entire length of my new porch, but my wife claims she doesn't notice it so I'm going to let it be.

In your case I'd put a fan on it and see what happens. After a week or so, put some weight on it and see if it will flatten out. As long and the other boards around them didn't expand too much or if they did and they will go back in place, you might be in luck. If not I'd pull them both out and get one of them reinstalled then trial and error fit the other with a hand plane. You'll have to start by cutting the bottom of the groove off so that it just fits over the tongue of the board next to it.
Signature

(01-11-2023, 10:31 AM)Zack Butler Wrote: I've had it go both ways.  I had a 3/4" floor buckle a little, (not as bad as yours).  It flattened out ok, not perfect, but like yours it was in an out of the way place behind a piece of furniture so I just let it be.  I've also had 3/4" KDAT flooring that I put on a porch that got wet before I had a chance to seal it and it buckled a lot worse than yours.  There were 3 boards on each side of the peak, the entire 23' run.  It never did even get close to flattening out because all of the other boards shifted as the whole floor expanded.  I got 5 of the six rows nailed down and had to rip a half inch off of one to get it back in place.  I kills me because it looks bad and is in the middle and the entire length of my new porch, but my wife claims she doesn't notice it so I'm going to let it be.

In your case I'd put a fan on it and see what happens.  After a week or so, put some weight on it and see if it will flatten out.  As long and the other boards around them didn't expand too much or if they did and they will go back in place, you might be in luck.  If not I'd pull them both out and get one of them reinstalled then trial and error fit the other with a hand plane.  You'll have to start by cutting the bottom of the groove off so that it just fits over the tongue of the board next to it.

Thanks! I'll put a fan on it.   This is the old strip style, no T&G so it's an easier repair.
Weigh it down with bricks (or) before it dries out.
Sit a fan there on low to blow air across it.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

hardwood buckled from a bit of water