Fellas?

I'm at a bit of a loose end, woodworking-wise so I need a new project (excuse me, pro-ject for our Canadian bretheren.....
Smile )

So, we store our spices like the picture shows.....not too organized.  Since I'm doing most of the cooking, when I need a spice I usually need to pull out the rack on the RH side or unload the lazy Susans on the LH side.

So, my crude drawing is what I thought up on my walk this AM  (Funny how 27 degree weather will get you thinking about strange things).

Here are the limitations:

1) The cabinet space is roughly 32.5" wide by approx 8" high (the shelves are adjustable, but I don't want to impact the shelves above or below too much.  the 32.5" measurement will allow the rack to clear the hinges.

2) In my crude drawing you see a sample McCormick short spice container.  As you can guess, we have some of their taller ones + some square containers, so I'd like to allow for those shapes/sizes.  For the round ones I was thinking of drilling out cylinder shapes the same diameter as the spice containers (like you'd do if you were making poker chip trays) vs just cutting square holders.  (see the YT screen shot.  It only shows square spice containers).  But I will allow for square jars too.

3) I'd rather not have to build a box with drawer runners, but I don't see a way of supporting the 2nd (and maybe a 3rd?) shelf.

4) If I do go the box route I'd be basically building a miniature chest of drawers which isn't a problem, but I'd like to not have to see the "runners".  If I use wooden, shop-made slides, I'm worrying that they will bind as I pull the "drawer(s)" out.  It wouldn't be a ton of weight so maybe I'm concerned about nothing.

5) If I have to use metal runners, I'd like them to be the hidden/underneath type.  However, this would eat up some height and I'm not sure they make them for such a small, lightweight application.  Do they?

Have you built something similar?  If so I'd love to see what you created.   I will do more searching via the Googler and on YT as well.   Thanks!

Attached Files Image(s)

Dumber than I appear

I had trouble following your drawing, but do most of the cooking, so i can throw in some tips of what I found that works. 

First, for the ones we use often, we have an old wood bottle crate that has the wire grids that turn out to be the ideal size for the full size round jars. To make it more efficient,  I store those in Alpha order, and write the name on the top of the lid so it you don't have to take out the spice to confirm.  If you drill holes for the jars, you will want to label the tops so you know which is which.   You could always make a similar crate out of 1/2 material, with 1/4 material for the grids ,

For the smaller jars, we have a drop down -  the pricing on this looks high, but it was the first one I could find  hardware  so I would look around to see if you can find some better pricing.  Here is another one, though it looks kind of clunky.  under cabinet rackThe good part is that it uses otherwise wasted space.  

If you go the drawer route, you can make one full size drawer, then make a half width shelf that sits on top and moves back and forth like the sliding till in a tool box.  tool chest sliding till

(01-12-2023, 07:16 PM)barryvabeach Wrote: I had trouble following your drawing, but do most of the cooking, so i can throw in some tips of what I found that works. 

First, for the ones we use often, we have an old wood bottle crate that has the wire grids that turn out to be the ideal size for the full size round jars. To make it more efficient,  I store those in Alpha order, and write the name on the top of the lid so it you don't have to take out the spice to confirm.  If you drill holes for the jars, you will want to label the tops so you know which is which.   You could always make a similar crate out of 1/2 material, with 1/4 material for the grids ,

For the smaller jars, we have a drop down -  the pricing on this looks high, but it was the first one I could find  hardware  so I would look around to see if you can find some better pricing.  Here is another one, though it looks kind of clunky.  under cabinet rackThe good part is that it uses otherwise wasted space.  

If you go the drawer route, you can make one full size drawer, then make a half width shelf that sits on top and moves back and forth like the sliding till in a tool box.  tool chest sliding till

I'll absolutely recommend these.  

Amazon.com: Hardware Resources 3-Tier Pull Down Spice Rack - Chrome-Finished Steel Retractable Organizer for Spice Bottles & Seasoning Jars - Easy to Install, Screws Included - Fits 15” Opening Wall Cabinet : Home & Kitchen

(01-13-2023, 07:07 AM)KC Wrote: I'll absolutely recommend these.  

Amazon.com: Hardware Resources 3-Tier Pull Down Spice Rack - Chrome-Finished Steel Retractable Organizer for Spice Bottles & Seasoning Jars - Easy to Install, Screws Included - Fits 15” Opening Wall Cabinet : Home & Kitchen

Thanks KC but those won't work because this cabinet sits on the counter.
Dumber than I appear
(01-12-2023, 07:16 PM)barryvabeach Wrote: I had trouble following your drawing, but do most of the cooking, so i can throw in some tips of what I found that works. 

Yes, my drawing skills aren't up to snuff.

The blue trapezoidal things are the pull out shelves.  The red/orange boxes are meant to represent the drawer grooves.

If I go the till route, I don't see how I've improved our predicament.  I want the drawers to slide out so I can see the spices vs sliding side to side.  Or maybe I'm not following what you're suggesting.
Dumber than I appear
I made a cabinet for a bathroom closet many years ago, that was for medicine, etc. I used polycarbonate plastic to keep the bottles on the shelves.
Similar issues at my house. Your post prompted me to do a rethink. Top pic is one of two kitchen spice drawers. Second pic is what just ordered from Amazon. They are glass, about 2" square, more compact/shorter, stand upright, and labels on the top and side, and each will hold a full bottle of spice. I'll be able to compress two drawers into one, or about 50 or 60 containers. Should be much easier to find what I'm looking for which is the biggest issue. Less than $1 each from Amazon Link
Similar to your drawing, here is my other drawer. Problem is that it doesn't hold much...lots of wasted space.
I like the idea of those little shaker jars. That one is going to the wife for approval. The only downside is the stuff where its a mix of things like Mrs Dash or a rub or something.
I'd go with you original plan of adding a drawer to hold the spice bottles laying down.  But I think you'll need two drawers to get all your spices stored.  

Things to consider:

• Make the drawers as short (height wise) as possible.  Every vertical fraction of an inch is crucial.  The sides of the rack should be the sides of the drawer.  
  • Just go ahead and take out the shelf the spices are currently on.  Does it hold the cabinet sides together or serve some structural purpose?  If not, remove it.  It's taking up 1/2" - 3/4" of an inch of vertical space.  
  • Study those bottle sizes.  I recall there's 2-3 main sizes.  Plan for the different sized bottles.  You say the shelf is about 8" tall?  Take out the shelf itself and we're almost 9" to work with.  Do some calculating & measuring to figure out how much you can stand up the spices for them to still fit height wise.  The more you stand them up, the more rows you can fit front to back.  Can't stand them up too tall though.  I like to be able to read the front cover.  Which means the bottle in front of it can't cover up too much of the label.  
Decisions, decisions.  Engineering is a compromise.  Quite possible to get overwhelmed by everything that needs to be considered and just go for 2-3 multilevel turntables sitting on the shelf.  Wait, I think you have something like that already.  

Projects like this are why I do woodwork.  I'm in control to create and implement a specific solution to solve my specific problem.
Need ideas on storing our spices