In your experience does having textured ceiling, popcorn or patterned/troweled styles, do much to reduce noise in an open area with an 8' ceiling height?
Ray

Just my opinion, but I suspect it does...but at such a low level you would need instruments to measure the difference. So for all practical purposes....no.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Well I'm not expecting sound proofing. Just a noticeable elimination/reduction in echo.
Ray

(01-12-2023, 03:58 PM)DogwoodTales Wrote: Well I'm not expecting sound proofing. Just a noticeable elimination/reduction in echo.

You’re expecting too much.  Texture ceilings, those made from drywall compound at least, won’t eliminate echo.   

But the icky texture is something that has to be seen every time you look at it.  

You also forgot to me to mention where the noise you’re looking to attenuate is coming from. They room above?  The room you’re talking about ?  An adjacent room. ?   Sound control is fairly complex and not something a magic product or technique is going to give you a noticeable improvement.
Thanks for the input guys.

Just the noise in the same room. It’s an open area comprising the living room, dining room, and kitchen.
I had heard that a textured ceiling can help but was doubtful about it so I thought I’d ask here.
I wouldn’t want a popcorn style ceiling. If we were to do it I’d want a troweled, kinda sea shell pattern.
Ray

(01-12-2023, 08:32 PM)DogwoodTales Wrote: Thanks for the input guys.

Just the noise in the same room. It’s an open area comprising the living room, dining room, and kitchen.
I had heard that a textured ceiling can help but was doubtful about it so I thought I’d ask here.
I wouldn’t want a popcorn style ceiling. If we were to do it I’d want a troweled, kinda sea shell pattern.

if you like the look, go for it.  It's not going to help w/the noise though.

You need to add things with mass and absorption to help with that.   Thick rugs/carpet, heavy drapes, upholstered furniture.
If you want to go through the trouble and expense, acoustic ceiling tile will help as well.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

(01-13-2023, 06:14 AM)fredhargis Wrote: If you want to go through the trouble and expense, acoustic ceiling tile will help as well.

not in a main living area. that's a yuck for me 
Laugh
Ray
Just my opinion but textured ceilings probably reduce the value of your home.
(01-13-2023, 01:39 PM)joe1086 Wrote: Just my opinion but textured ceilings probably reduce the value of your home.

It all depends on where you live.
Does a textured ceiling really reduce noise?