So I need to veneer a long plywood panel (~80") with the 1/16" white oak veneer I have, but it's too big for my vacuum bag. 

Can I use contact cement on a non-paper backed, 1/16" white oak veneer?  I've used contact cement for veneering before, but only with paper backed.

Read this,

https://wisewoodveneer.com/learning-cent...ct-cement/
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry

(01-15-2023, 07:06 PM)museumguy Wrote: Read this,

https://wisewoodveneer.com/learning-cent...ct-cement/

thanks!
(01-15-2023, 06:07 PM)mound Wrote: So I need to veneer a long plywood panel (~80") with the 1/16" white oak veneer I have, but it's too big for my vacuum bag. 

Can I use contact cement on a non-paper backed, 1/16" white oak veneer?  I've used contact cement for veneering before, but only with paper backed.

I had the same issue when I needed to veneer the side of two end panels during my kitchen rehab a few years ago.  The cabinets were in place already so it had to be done where they were.  I wanted to use the same 1/16" ash veneer that I had used for everything else.  

I decided to make my own paper backed veneer.  It wasn't hard but you have to work quickly to keep the veneer from curling.  I used yellow glue to attach a sheet of heavy Kraft paper to one side, the kind you can buy in a roll at HD.  I used an oversized piece of the Kraft paper and taped the ends and sides to my bench.  I rolled the glue onto it, laid the veneer on top, and then a plywood caul on top and plenty of buckets on top of that.  When it was dry, I sanded the face to its finished grit.  I used spray contact cement to install it on the end panels.  They shows no signs of coming loose.  

John
interesting! Thanks John.. This is also end-panels in my kitchen renovation

(01-16-2023, 12:09 PM)mound Wrote: interesting! Thanks John.. This is also end-panels in my kitchen renovation

Thinking about it a little more, if the edges won't show making it two ply would be pretty bulletproof, I think.  A lot of paper backed veneer is two ply, with the inner ply cross banded, which makes it very stable.  The edges of my veneer were going to show so I elected to use just a single layer.  

John
veneering with contact cement, requires paper backed or no?