Hi
Looking into a wall mounted dust collection, 120 volt for now, 240 maybe later.

Small shop, one tool at a time.

Oneida, Rockler, Grizzly, ?

Thoughts?

Thanks 
Mark

(01-16-2023, 03:07 PM)MT Woodworker Wrote: Hi

Thoughts?

Thanks 
Mark

A unit on wheels will be more versatile, powerful, and useful.
Fine Woodworking issue 286 has covered a review of 5 or 6 wall mounted d.c.

Simon
The question leads to more questions...

- Are you considering using just a flex hose that you move from tool to tool when needed?  Or do you want rigid ducting, but will only run one machine at a time?

- You said "small" shop.  How small?

- You said "120V for now, 240 maybe later."  Are you looking for a unit that could expand as your shop expands?  Is it your desire that this one DC now will carry your needs for a long time as the shop adds capacity?

- What tools will this unit service?  I find that my DC is a much more critical need for my drum sander, for example, than for my table saw.

There are so many ways to provide a solution to your need.
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")
Good morning
Yes using flex hose to the machines , only be used 1 tool at a time.

Shop size is 24 x 26

Just wanted the 240 option, if, I ever wanted to go that way.

Shop really won’t expand machine wise, than what I have now, and physical shop size will never expand.

I have room for either wall mount, but as mentioned, a wheeled one can get close to the machine being used, without having hose all over the place.
[attachment=45905]A number of years ago I bought a small unit similar to those that mount on the wall, except it was mounted on wheels to move around.  Bag was a pain to use once there was some sawdust in the bag.  I made a cart that mounted the blower on top with the bag hanging below, the frame can raise and lower and has wheels under it so it can be moved if desired.  
I find I keep it in one place and just use flex hose to connect to a run down the center of the shop or connect directly to a tool.
OK, thanks.

When I first got my DC in 2012, I used a single flex hose.  I was good about hooking it up at first; later on, not so much.

When I got a dedicated shop in 2014, I went with a more permanent placement, and eventually went to metal duct.  With a fixed-in-place unit, you're going to need a substantive unit because there could be times when you'll need added power to reach across the shop.  Flex duct is a real drag on dust collection.  

Cabinet Monkey recommended a wheeled unit.  If you're going to run flex duct solely, I think you'll want to minimize those runs as much as possible.  A mobile unit will allow for that.

I'm still running the same Harbor Freight unit as the "base machine", but I wouldn't recommend an HF unit.  For what you're trying to do, I think a Grizzly or any other name brand unit will work well.  The real key is is in the setup and configuration.  A separator, either something like the Dust Deputy or a shop made like the Thien Baffle will be important, and a good quality filtration canister will be important.

As regards 110V or 220V:  My HF DC is a 110V unit.  The machine requires 16A of power.  All of the 110V circuits in my shop are 20A, so that's not an issue for me.  I would have a tough time living with a 110V 15A circuit.  The generates somewhere around 650CFM of air movement at the DC.  It's adequate for me, but I've done a lot work to reconfigure ducts to minimize runs and optimize machine placement to get the most out of it I can.  I am certain that others who would look at my setup would not think it's sufficient for their needs.  I don't think one of those small 650CFM (advertised) 1 HP units hanging on the wall will give you the performance you seek.
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")
(01-16-2023, 03:07 PM)MT Woodworker Wrote: Hi

Thoughts?

Thanks 
Mark
Mark,

I'm in the same boat. Space is an issue but good dust collection is important too. I looked at the Oneida mini gorilla since I had a 5hp Oneida in my old shop. But the mini coming in at $2,100 with shipping and tax it's hard for me to justify.

I'm fairly sure I'm going to go with a Grizzly wall mount G0944HEP (it's backordered til March) and a Oneida Super Dust Deputy Kit. That will come in at around $1,000. It will give me enough CFM to run the cyclone. With the Hepa filter it will filter down to .3 microns. I will use a 4" flex hose to attached it to my maching. All my machines are on a mobile base. 

I'm still looking and checking but this looks like a winning combo for me.

Good Luck with your search.

Mike
Hi Mike
Also been looking at the G0944, 1 1/2 horse. Amazon has in stock, plus free shipping.

And if I want mobile I could build a cart.

With the exception of my table saw, which is set where it will stay, all other machines are mobile.

Just gonna have to pull the trigger and order.

Mark

(01-18-2023, 05:18 PM)MT Woodworker Wrote: Hi Mike
Also been looking at the G0944, 1 1/2 horse.  Amazon has in stock, plus free shipping.

And if I want mobile I could build a cart.

With the exception of my table saw, which is set where it will stay, all other machines are mobile.

Just gonna have to pull the trigger and order.

Mark

FWIW a quick search found Home Depot has this same Grizzly unit for a lower price than Amazon, also with free shipping. I redid my DC system last year and went with the Dust Rite system from Rockler. My collector is piped in from another adjacent area and I have a station mounted on the wall that allows me to get the DC hose to any tool in the shop.

It is a very efficient system and has worked nicely during the last year or so. All my tools are on wheels so it is very convenient to be able to move them out of way when not in use. 

Doug
Wall mount dust collection