Colleagues: last week I went to re-saw a board and I could not get enough tension on the blade. Spring collapsed like it was mush and it is 15+ years old.

Purchased a Cobra Coil spring, but now I cannot recall if I removed the upper wheel assembly to replace the spring or what I did. Saw is a Delta 14” band saw, Model #28.240.

Also, does anyone remember the name, contact information, etc., for a gentleman who sold bandsaw parts, etc? Getting to be as my physician says “at That Age” where I cannot remember things or what to do.

Ray--I think you're looking for Louis Iturra from Iturra Design in Jacksonville, FL. He has no web site, but his phone number is on the web.
good luck,
earl
I have an Iturra Designs spring and Tensioning Crank on order with Highland Hardware.  Just go to Highland Hardware and search on Iturra Designs and what you seek will come up.  I put it on order late last week and it's in transit now.
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")
(01-17-2023, 01:11 PM)Ray Newman Wrote: Colleagues: last week I went to re-saw a board and I could not get enough tension on the blade. Spring collapsed like it was mush and it is 15+ years old.

Purchased a Cobra Coil spring, but now I cannot recall if I removed the upper wheel assembly to replace the spring or what I did. Saw is a Delta 14” band saw, Model #28.240.

Also, does anyone remember the name, contact information, etc., for a gentleman who sold bandsaw parts, etc? Getting to be as my physician says “at That Age” where I cannot remember things or what to do.

Ray, what width blade were you trying to tension?  It's hard to believe the spring is bad unless you fully or nearly fully compressed it a few times.  The cast iron 14" Delta is limited to a 1/2" wide blade, regardless of what the tension meter says.  Anything wider leads to more problems than benefits, one of which is the tendency to kill the spring.  

But back to the blade.  What did you mean by "I could not get enough tension on the blade"?  Did the blade not want to cut straight, or it got a belly in it, or?  Those answers might help a lot in diagnose whether the spring is the culprit or simply the blade.  Like I said earlier, springs don't wear out unless over compressed.  

I can't remember for sure, but I don't think you have to remove the upper wheel assembly to change the spring.  I think you just remove the tensioning screw rod, pop out the old spring, and reverse to install the new one.  

John
Colleagues: thanks for the information about Iturra Design.

John: I attempted to tension a ½” blade.Saw is a the ol’ 14” Model 28.240, ¾ HP motor.  Back when bought it (about 1988-90),  dealer said it would not tension a ¾” blade.  I have not utilized the saw in a while and there is a notice by the switch to distension blade when done.

Blade was new – still in the wrapper. I installed and centered it on the wheels and started to apply tension. But there was just no spring resistance when tightening. I then de-tensioned and noticed that 2 or 3 coils collapsed and would not return to normal. From what I recall, I replaced the spring back about 15+ years ago with a Delta spring, or was it a non-OEM spring?

(01-17-2023, 11:31 PM)Ray Newman Wrote: Colleagues: thanks for the information about Iturra Design.

John: I attempted to tension a ½” blade.Saw is a the ol’ 14” Model 28.240, ¾ HP motor.  Back when bought it (about 1988-90),  dealer said it would not tension a ¾” blade.  I have not utilized the saw in a while and there is a notice by the switch to distension blade when done.

Blade was new – still in the wrapper. I installed and centered it on the wheels and started to apply tension. But there was just no spring resistance when tightening. I then de-tensioned and noticed that 2 or 3 coils collapsed and would not return to normal. From what I recall, I replaced the spring back about 15+ years ago with a Delta spring, or was it a non-OEM spring?

Very strange about the spring.  Coils don't collapse unless they are over compressed or break, also caused by over compression.  In any case, it's time for a new one.  Iturra, Carter, probably others, make a higher compression spring for the 14" Delta.  Installation should be straightforward, as Cabinet Monkey described.  

FWIW, you should not have to detension the spring between uses, though you may wish to do so to keep the tires from taking a set.  A quality spring will not fatigue if only compressed within its working range.  Same thing for a blade.  It can sit there for years under tension w/o fatigue/failure.  Also, keep in mind that the 14" Delta can only comfortably apply about 12 ksi to a 1/2" blade, even with an Iturra spring.  That's enough to get good performance but no where near what blade manufacturers recommend for efficient cutting and long life.  So, don't try to apply the 18+ ksi blade manufacturers recommend or you'll not only trash the spring but also risk bending/breaking the upper wheel assembly.  

John
Ray , you should be able to just remove the nut on the bottom of the tensioning rod that goes through the spring and it will drop out.
Gents: thanks for the information!

I have a BOLO Alert for my ambition. As soon as it is found I will tackle this project.

Again, thanks
Bandsaw tension spring replacement