We've got a toilet that suddenly won't fill.  Flushes fine when filled but then the incoming water barely trickles from the fill tube.  If I turn off the water supply valve and then back on it fills fine.  Any ideas?

Thanks
Rick
Rick

Toilet parts are cheap. I'd guess the filler valve is sticking closed. Reintroducing pressure by opening the service valve might jar the filler valve open. I'd start by replacing the filler valve.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

replace the filler valve as already stated.

you could try and clean it but it's almost always a waste of time.

(01-17-2023, 09:37 PM)Cabinet Monkey Wrote: replace the filler valve as already stated.

you could try and clean it but it's almost always a waste of time.

+1. I've tried to no avail. Same with the float valves in water treatment systems. When they go, the go.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(01-18-2023, 07:00 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: +1. I've tried to no avail. Same with the float valves in water treatment systems. When they go, the go.

yea, kinda like tires and wiper blades on your automobile.

(01-18-2023, 10:04 AM)Cabinet Monkey Wrote: yea, kinda like tires and wiper blades on your automobile.

So I bought a new fill valve and got it installed - it is dripping from/the top cap.  Other than that it seems to work OK.  I have no idea why that is occurring

Rick
Rick

Clean ours with vinegar a couple times a year, due to the mineral buildup.

With the fill vale float down, pour vinegar on the float and get some to run down the fill valve stem. Let it soak and do it once more.
Then twist and pull the float up and down for a bit, working the buildup off the stem.
About 10 minutes of your time will save buying another fill valve.
I do keep an extra fill valve as both commodes use the same one.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(01-18-2023, 11:59 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Clean ours with vinegar a couple times a year, due to the mineral buildup.

With the fill vale float down, pour vinegar on the float and get some to run down the fill valve stem. Let it soak and do it once more.
Then twist and pull the float up and down for a bit, working the buildup off the stem.
About 10 minutes of your time will save buying another fill valve.
I do keep an extra fill valve as both commodes use the same one.

This is  brand new fill valve
Rick

(01-19-2023, 05:23 AM)Rick_B Wrote: This is  brand new fill valve

It sounds like the new valve is defective. You should remove it and return it for a replacement.
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
Check your home’s water pressure.  I’ll bet it’s too high , causing the new valve to leak.  

Is it a korky by any chance ?
Clling All Plumbers