I have a Delta 36-L31X left tilt unisaw. It is becoming more and more difficult to raise the blade. I clean and lubricate the on an annual basis, clean at least once a month by blowing compressed air while running the dust collection system.

Any ideas as to what the problem might be?

Greg

(01-23-2023, 08:02 PM)Oldwood2409 Wrote: I have a Delta 36-L31X left tilt unisaw. It is becoming more and more difficult to raise the blade. I clean and lubricate the on an annual basis, clean at least once a month by blowing compressed air while running the dust collection system.

Greg

Take a look at the worm gear than the crank it interacts with and see if the teeth are worn or damaged.  If not, then I think your clean and lube are the most advantageous route.  Just don't use something like oil or grease as that can attract dust and dirt to it.
One other thing, there is a locking knob on the elevation crank that if it's tightened up would make it harder to raise and lower the blade.
Just some thoughts.
I raise my grizzly 1023 blade all the way up, then clean the visible trough on the up/down mechanism, run it down and clean/grease that portion.
Back up and grease again, then down, working the grease around on the trough.
I use white lithium grease that comes in a tube.
Afterwards I wipe off as much as I can as it will ooze over the sides.
I'll do this a couple of times a year during my belt tightening/cleaning maintenance.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(01-23-2023, 08:02 PM)Oldwood2409 Wrote: I have a Delta 36-L31X left tilt unisaw. It is becoming more and more difficult to raise the blade. I clean and lubricate the on an annual basis, clean at least once a month by blowing compressed air while running the dust collection system.

Greg
I had the same saw and the same problem. Disassembly showed that the teeth on the elevation rack were trashed. No good reason for that -- I took good care of it, kept it clean, ran a cyclone. With no parts available from Delta for that model, that was the end of its life. 

Good luck. I wish my hopes were higher for you.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
I suggest that after you clean the worm gear and the gear it meshes with, rub some canning wax (paraffin) on both of them. I've been doing that for 20 plus years and it works like a charm. When you use grease it will load up with sawdust.
Captain Kirk was talking about my shop when he said: Space the final frontier!   
I just wanted to first thank all that have responded to my request for help. Here is what I have done. I cleaned the worm and rack gears with a brass brush and blew out any debris. I then applied some  aerosol Teflon lubricant. Things got better but not by much. Next day I cleaned again and applied an aerosol grafite. Things once again got better but not where they should be. Looking at the tooth pattern I noticed some wear but nothing alarming. I then followed advice of " thecabinetmaker" by using a birthday candle feed into the worm gear as I raised and lowered the rack. Things are better now but as soon as I get a few projects off my list I will completely disasemble the machine and clean and lubricate.

I purchased the machine used and how no idea how it was treated.

Once again thanks for all the advice.

Greg  (Oldwood2409)

(01-27-2023, 05:45 PM)Oldwood2409 Wrote: I just wanted to first thank all that have responded to my request for help. Here is what I have done. I cleaned the worm and rack gears with a brass brush and blew out any debris. I then applied some  aerosol Teflon lubricant. Things got better but not by much. Next day I cleaned again and applied an aerosol grafite. Things once again got better but not where they should be. Looking at the tooth pattern I noticed some wear but nothing alarming. I then followed advice of " thecabinetmaker" by using a birthday candle feed into the worm gear as I raised and lowered the rack. Things are better now but as soon as I get a few projects off my list I will completely disasemble the machine and clean and lubricate.

I purchased the machine used and how no idea how it was treated.

Once again thanks for all the advice.

Greg  (Oldwood2409)

Greg,
 The shaft that has the worm gear for the up/down movement is anchored at the back of the cabinet.  That anchor point needs lube as well.  I use 3-in-1 on it.  If I fail to do this every couple of years, it develops a gawd awful squeak and resists rotation.

Mike
Be sure to remove top and really clean it and lube.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
If you can find it a some grocery stores, get your self some good old parafin Gulf wax. Lube your gears with it, this will not attract dirt.

(04-27-2023, 02:37 PM)bobburk Wrote: If you can find it a some grocery stores, get your self some good old parafin Gulf wax.  Lube your gears with it, this will not attract dirt.

If you can't find parafin/canning wax, people have used non-silicone furniture wax. Johnson's paste wax used to be the old standby but that has been discontinued. There are other furniture paste waxes that I'm sure would be fine, I think Minwax makes one.
Help needed with Delta Unisaw