I have a Grizzly G0544 Planer and I went out to plane a few boards.  After blowing the dust off the planer and plugging it in, I pulled the emergency power off button out and then hit the button to start the cutterhead motor. I heard a buzz then a click and everything went off. I can't get either motor to run. I opened the box that has all the switches and everything looks fine, nothing is burnt and all wires are well connected. There is a fuse in the back that's difficult to see but it looks good to me. I don't know what it's for but it's not black like it would be if burned out and the filament looks intact. But I don't have any power to either motor. I checked my main fuse panel and the breaker wasn't tripped, and the outlet is getting 220v. I checked the plug and it's good. So I'm at a loss as what is keeping this from starting. Anyone have any ideas?

(01-28-2023, 05:08 PM)R12C Wrote: I have a Grizzly G0544 Planer and I went out to plane a few boards.  After blowing the dust off the planer and plugging it in, I pulled the emergency power off button out and then hit the button to start the cutterhead motor. I heard a buzz then a click and everything went off. I can't get either motor to run. I opened the box that has all the switches and everything looks fine, nothing is burnt and all wires are well connected. There is a fuse in the back that's difficult to see but it looks good to me. I don't know what it's for but it's not black like it would be if burned out and the filament looks intact. But I don't have any power to either motor. I checked my main fuse panel and the breaker wasn't tripped, and the outlet is getting 220v. I checked the plug and it's good. So I'm at a loss as what is keeping this from starting. Anyone have any ideas?

Page 3 in your manual shows there are a lot of things that could be wrong:

[Image: AMWts8CGrYBgWgD6Bnb2RiQ1j2_d0Dwhk6jSa7VH...authuser=1]

I'd push the reset button first.  I think the power indicator light should be illuminated then. I not the fuse must be bad.  I could be wrong, and often am, but that's what I'd do first.  It has to be something early on if neither motor will turn on.  

John

Photo 
(01-28-2023, 05:32 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Page 3 in your manual shows there are a lot of things that could be wrong:

[Image: AMWts8CGrYBgWgD6Bnb2RiQ1j2_d0Dwhk6jSa7VH...authuser=1]

I'd push the reset button first.  I think the power indicator light should be illuminated then. I not the fuse must be bad.  I could be wrong, and often am, but that's what I'd do first.  It has to be something early on if neither motor will turn on.  

John

That "reset" button doesn't seem to be a reset. That gets pulled out and then you can start the feed and cutterhead motors. To shut the machine off, push that "reset" button in. Have no idea why it says reset in that photo or why there are arrows on it. This planer has given me years of trouble free service, then this morning it decided to crap out. Best as I can figure, there's something in that wiring diagram that is outta wack. Especially since it's both motors that wont fire up. Both motors can be turned by hand and the belts move without any problems.

(01-28-2023, 10:17 PM)R12C Wrote: That "reset" button doesn't seem to be a reset. That gets pulled out and then you can start the feed and cutterhead motors. To shut the machine off, push that "reset" button in. Have no idea why it says reset in that photo or why there are arrows on it. This planer has given me years of trouble free service, then this morning it decided to crap out. Best as I can figure, there's something in that wiring diagram that is outta wack. Especially since it's both motors that wont fire up. Both motors can be turned by hand and the belts move without any problems.

Oh, I see that now.  It's the E-stop, and the reset means you have to rotate it to release it after it's pushed.  OK, do you have light at the power indicator light?  If not, the fuse must be bad.  

John

(01-29-2023, 09:53 AM)jteneyck Wrote: Oh, I see that now.  It's the E-stop, and the reset means you have to rotate it to release it after it's pushed.  OK, do you have light at the power indicator light?  If not, the fuse must be bad.  

John

The light hasn't worked for years, I just assumed the light bulb was bad and never tried to change it. I used a meter and I have 121v on both sides of the fuse. I have 121v on both sides of the emergency stop button when it's pulled out (on). I have 121v going to one contact on the cutterhead starter button and 99v to all other contacts. When I press and hold the cutterhead starter button, I get 121 volts on all contacts. 

The feeder starter button has 99v to all contacts with or without the feeder starter button being pressed. However, if the cutterhead starter button is held there is 121v to every contact on the feeder starter. 

As I was checking the back of the switches, I gently placed the panel down and when I let it go, it swung a little and thus the hot screw on the emergency starter button made contact with the corner of the enclosure causing a spark and now there is no power on either side of the switch.  Grrrrr!  I'm guessing the fuse is blown now and I'll need a new emergency starter but I didn't check. I had to unplug it and walk away. Guess I'll also order a new bulb for the power indicator.

(01-29-2023, 12:56 PM)R12C Wrote: The light hasn't worked for years, I just assumed the light bulb was bad and never tried to change it. I used a meter and I have 121v on both sides of the fuse. I have 121v on both sides of the emergency stop button when it's pulled out (on). I have 121v going to one contact on the cutterhead starter button and 99v to all other contacts. When I press and hold the cutterhead starter button, I get 121 volts on all contacts. 

The feeder starter button has 99v to all contacts with or without the feeder starter button being pressed. However, if the cutterhead starter button is held there is 121v to every contact on the feeder starter. 

As I was checking the back of the switches, I gently placed the panel down and when I let it go, it swung a little and thus the hot screw on the emergency starter button made contact with the corner of the enclosure causing a spark and now there is no power on either side of the switch.  Grrrrr!  I'm guessing the fuse is blown now and I'll need a new emergency starter but I didn't check. I had to unplug it and walk away. Guess I'll also order a new bulb for the power indicator.

Are you testing for voltage across the lamp and reset button or testing to ground ?   Roly

(01-29-2023, 01:40 PM)Roly Wrote: Are you testing for voltage across the lamp and reset button or testing to ground ?   Roly

To ground
Tested all connections on the switches to make sure there is no loose wire/wires?
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(01-29-2023, 02:42 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Tested all connections on the switches to make sure there is no loose wire/wires?

All terminals were tight and I gently gave each wire a tug. All the wires appear to have a good connection.
You should only need a new fuse, I think the E-stop should be OK.  

So when you push the cutterhead (or feed motor) start button, are you saying the magnetic contactor won't latch?  If so, there's a problem there.  Hard to believe both would go bad at the same time, though, so I'd still be looking for something else first.  

John
Grizzly G0544 Planer Wont Turn On