Is there a stain/dye/method I can use to make the yellow-cream of walnut sapwood look similar to the softer brown found in steamed walnut?  I have a request for a live edge table with the muted sapwood of steamed lumber. 

I'm searching for a supplier of steamed slabs in my region (MV/DC/NOVA) but haven't found any yet.
Semper fi,
Brad

(02-03-2023, 09:19 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: Is there a stain/dye/method I can use to make the yellow-cream of walnut sapwood look similar to the softer brown found in steamed walnut?  I have a request for a live edge table with the muted sapwood of steamed lumber. 

I'm searching for a supplier of steamed slabs in my region (MV/DC/NOVA) but haven't found any yet.

It's pretty unlikely you'll find anyone offering walnut slabs that have been steamed.  Most people value the contrast between the sapwood and heartwood when searching for slabs.  

It's not hard to darken the sapwood to look like heartwood.  Just dye it.  I use Transtint dyes, but you can use any dye you want to.  Dye the sapwood first (or only) using a brush or rag.  It's not as hard as it first sounds.  Do some tests on scrap to see what dye and concentration gives the best match.  Best to use two applications; one allows no room for missed spots.   

If you also want to dye the heartwood, so much the better.  Do the sapwood first and then do the whole tabletop.  Or just dye the sapwood and then use an oil-based stain on the whole top.  This is a common method to even out color variations in wood.  Look up an article by Jeff Jewett on his website or in FWW several (many?) years ago about finishing mahogany.  

John
Over the years I have used  Van Dyck Crystals:   https://www.shellac.net/WalnutCrystals.html  They are made from walnut hulls and dissolve with water. Very easy to use.
Captain Kirk was talking about my shop when he said: Space the final frontier!   
Thanks a bunch!  I'll let the customer know about these options.
Semper fi,
Brad

Mimicking steamed walnut sapwood?