That sits beside the Boss' easy chair.    And, be Free Standing.   She wants to replace an UGLY purple, PLASTIC storage tub....so..

Research:   Was watching Paul Sellers Masterclasses (the FREE ones, of course)  while he was building a "Sofa Server"....Thinking I can change things a wee bit.

Need a 1x 16" x 26" panel for the actual shelf
Need two 1 x 16 x 12" panels for the legs....that will be through dovetailed to the shelf
Need two 1 x 3s to act as stretchers about 5" up from the floor...

I hauled 3 planks to the shop, today...1 x 6 x 5' and let them sit a day...tomorrow will prep them for lengths needed.....joint a few edges in order to do a few glue ups.

Stay tuned...
Winkgrin
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that

Bench has been cleaned off...enough that I can get some work done..
[attachment=46248]
3 planks...I have seen better ones..
[attachment=46249]
Some places aren't too bad..
[attachment=46250]
Other spots?
[attachment=46251]
And one area is just plain bad...
[attachment=46252]

Tomorrow, IF the Boss lets me.....I need to start cutting these planks down to something I can use....

3@ 1 x 6 x 26"   and 6@ 1x6 x 12"....in order to get 3 panels ready to glue up...

Stay tuned..
Cross cutting today...good thing this handle was comfy..
[attachment=46263]
Disston 7 pointer cross cut...either a D-112 or a D-100...as I have both...depends on which is the sharper of the two..
[attachment=46264]
While have plenty of work for the Stanley No. 8c...
[attachment=46265]
Need to remove a bit off the 2 outside boards, though..
[attachment=46266]
Panel is supposed to be 16" wide..."Missed it by that much, Chief"....may joint the inside joints, then see how much to rip from each outside edge...

As for the legs/ends,
[attachment=46267]
6 blanks are ready to be sorted out....need 2 panels...1 x 16" wide x 12" tall.....not too concerned if 2 blanks aren't 12" long....as they can be in the center, as I need to cut a foot profile....
[attachment=46268]
I marked out a few "Cut Lines"  and used two of those clamps to hold the plank still, while the Disston went to work...

Stay tuned...
Got bored last night...and put these two to work...
[attachment=46271]
Made a mess of the shop floor, too
[attachment=46272]
In order to get down to the 16" width, the 2 wider boards got 3/4" ripped off one edge,,AFTER I had jointed the "good" edge...I also face planed to get things almost flat..then lay them out..
[attachment=46273]
Trying for best looking grain...and to see how well the joints go together...panel is about flat enough, for now..
[attachment=46274]

As for getting to that 16" width?
[attachment=46275]
Got fairly close....
So..bright and early this morning...and a new bottle of glue, too..headed to the shop..
[attachment=46276]
Clamps and cauls time..
[attachment=46277]
And a look at how well the grain lined up..
[attachment=46278]
Let this sit a day...need to move it OFF of my tablesaw, though...
[attachment=46279]
As I need to start on the 2 end panels....

Stay tuned...
Ok. set the panel aside, as I needed my tablesaw back..so
[attachment=46307]
There ya go...this might be the top, or it might be the underside....all depends on how it looks once I get it ready...

As for those 6 blanks for the 2 leg panels....well...after a LOT of cross cutting, ripping bad edges off, more cross cut to get squared up...threw 2 of them away   and cut 2 new ones....some of them needed to be face planed ( a bit TOO rough and cupped) and 3 edges needed jointed...but..
[attachment=46308]
Clamps and cauls time...black line is where the bandsaw/sabre saw will be cutting a profile out for the feet..

then on to the 2nd one....
[attachment=46309]
Bench vise works great as a 3rd hand...cauls to pull things flat..
[attachment=46310]
There is a second caul on the other side...

Will let those 2 sit a day, or 2...then clean them up...then start laying out for the dovetail pins....

Might also, while I'm waiting, mill up 2 stretchers....that will go into housed, through mortises...we'll see how the week goes along.

I get a couple staples taken out of my chest on Thursday...so that shoots working that day...
Stay tuned
Blanks for the legs, today..
[attachment=46320]
First one wasn't too bad....6" radius took a bit of work...2nd?
[attachment=46321]
Was having "issues" about being flattened....and decided to split..so, now I am sitting here, waiting on glue to dry, again...

Top?
[attachment=46322]
Pipe clamps have been removed, cauls?  Not yet...panel is currently sitting on top of the tablesaw...until the next trip to the shop....need to clean up all the glue joints...and see how flat the panel is....best looking face will be the "show" side....

New camera is on the way here....be here about Thursday....old camera may wind up in the burn barrel...
Stay tuned...
Pins first...
[attachment=46343]
I don't have a fancy-schmanzy Moxxon Vise....but
[attachment=46344]
I make do with what I have..
[attachment=46345]
Just an old Disston No. 4 backsaw..14" long, 9ppi..
[attachment=46346]
Shop Stool is a bit worn....like an old Sweater, comfy..

That was a LOT of handsaw work....had to then clean off the top of the bench and set the Leg#1 panel flat on the bench...time to chop...
[attachment=46347]
Tools....And a backstop..
[attachment=46348]
Deepen the baseline a bit...
[attachment=46349]
Start with the outside face, chop halfway down...then flip over, and complete the chops..
[attachment=46350]
Made a lot of chips...
[attachment=46351]
Including one I didn't want...
[attachment=46352]
Pin went "flakey" on me...had to glue the piece back in place..

Need to clean this up, and transfer the marks....both to the other leg blank, and to the top shelf panel.....once those 2 are cleaned up and ready.

Stay tuned
Trying out a NEW Camera, today...will see how things go..

Transferring marks from one Pin Board to the other Pin Board...
[attachment=46359]
Involves a freshly sharpened No.2 Pencil...
[attachment=46360]
Had the switch these 2 around...pin board to go on top of the next pin board...
[attachment=46361]
I'll leave it up this high, to finish the layout marks, then drop it down low to run the saw...

How did the pictures look?
Yesterday...
[attachment=46372]
#2 set up to saw...
[attachment=46373]
Added the 3rd clamp in the center..
[attachment=46374]
Saw work done....
[attachment=46375]
Decided to get flaky...caul was not the best idea, though..

Moving on...top shelf has been cleaned up, and is fairly flat...Added the cauls to keep it that way..
[attachment=46377]
Set them back just far enough..
[attachment=46378]
That I can set a leg in place to trace out for the tails..

Today...BAD day in the shop...chips and cuss words flying around in equal amounts...
[attachment=46379]
Note the second tail from the top?    Rest of the tails are a tad too tight...
[attachment=46380]
Which cause a split...repair underway....remember about that caul being a bad idea?   Went to knock the caul loose...it took the flake along with it..right into the Burn Barrel!....Went to chop out the waste from Leg#2...yep...barely got started..
[attachment=46381]
Snap!   Grrrrrr...made a Marine D.I. Blush?   I was sure trying to...

Try something new, tomorrow, I guess...once the glue has cured...

Stay tuned..
New camera is working out well Bandit. Details much clearer.
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
Add a shelf to an End Table