Hi,

In looking for my flocking set (see my thread about the backgammon board I'm building) I basically took most of the stuff off of my paint shelves.  This shelf holds:

1) gallon cans  (mostly interior/exterior paint for our house)

2) Scrapers/wire brushes/pain trays.  The prep stuff

3) My assortment of stains for the WW projects I do.

4) Other junk

I've decided to organize it, not sure how yet, but it'll come to me.  

Here's my question:  Things were pretty dusty on the shelves and I'd like to enclose them, somewhat.  I thought about just attaching cardboard to the sides and fashioning some sort of doors for each shelf out of wood.  But the cardboard would look too "rednecky" 
Smile

I suppose I could go get a 1/4" of plywood and cover it and then make the doors, but I'm looking for suggestions.  What have you done?  Thanks!

(and no, I haven't YTed or Googled yet...)

works better when you attach the picture, right??
Smile

Attached Files Image(s)

Dumber than I appear

That's a sign you need better dust collection.  OK, so you enclose that storage rack to keep the dust out.  Dust will still collect on top of it, and everything else as it has always done.  Better dust collection.  Beyond that, some dust is still going to collect, no matter what.  

I do see some folks post pictures of their pristine shops.  I'm always envious of how they do it.  But I console myself because I almost never see them posting pictures of projects they've completed.   

John

(03-01-2023, 10:21 AM)jteneyck Wrote: That's a sign you need better dust collection.  OK, so you enclose that storage rack to keep the dust out.  Dust will still collect on top of it, and everything else as it has always done.  Better dust collection.  Beyond that, some dust is still going to collect, no matter what.  

I do see some folks post pictures of their pristine shops.  I'm always envious of how they do it.  But I console myself because I almost never see them posting pictures of projects they've completed.   

John

Yes....yes....dust collection could be better.   (in fact now that we've got solar panels on the roof, I sand things in the garage because I don't want dust to get in the solar inverter thing hanging in the basement).

I don't mind the dust so much on the top shelf. 

I'm at a bit of a loose end, project-wise, and before the spring comes I thought about cleaning up the paint shelves.
Dumber than I appear
Here's where it stands so far.

Door frames are made of the cedar post I saved when I built a new mail box (did I tell you I was cheap??) + some cherry since I ran out of cedar.  The door panels are from 2 sheets of 1/4 plywood from Lowe's.  IIRC, they were $30-ish/sheet.  It is nice enough that the leftovers will become drawer bottoms when the need arises.  I wrapped the 2 sides and the back with the same plywood.

The hinges were $2.50-ish/pair from Lowes.  I bought 8 2-packs of hinges, but I can't find the 8th one.  That's why the bottom doors are off.

I have some unfinished wooden knobs I might attach, but I'm debating whether or not I'll need handles.  I do have some little magnets I might set on the drawer backs to keep them closed, but honestly they are staying closed on their own.  I might wait and see if during the summer to doors warp a bit necessitating the magnets.  We'll see.

All in, this project is costing me $80-ish??? but organizing the paints/stains/caulks will be worth it.
Dumber than I appear
You went through all the trouble of enclosing the utility rack with panels and doors? Lucky you have had so much shop time. I could only have afforded taping the thing with a drop sheet or two if it was a problem for me.

Simon
Looks good.

And here is an unsolicited suggestion to keep your old paint viable. Get yourself a can of Bloxygen LINK. It is argon gas in a can...you put some in your open paint/finish cans and it replaces the oxygen that spoils paint over time. I've been using it for five years on just about any liquid I want to store and keep from going bad. I just opened a two year old jar of prepared wall paper border paste and it was fresh as the day I bought it. 

Works good on opened bottles of wine too.
Well........the saran wrap at Walmart is in the household section.

Couda pulled it away from the wall and wrapped it up.
Dust free.......
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Need ideas (or as is said here "idears") for my paint shelf