Serious question. What is the best way to flatten the back of a 1/8" chisel without it rolling? I have gouged a divot before and rounded edges. Frustrating.....
I cut it three times & it's still too short!

(03-06-2023, 07:45 PM)dawoodguy Wrote: Serious question. What is the best way to flatten the back of a 1/8" chisel without it rolling? I have gouged a divot before and rounded edges. Frustrating.....

If you go side to side, I would think it would be tough to avoid rolling.  I go front to back, and don't have that problem.  The Lee Valley  Chisel attachment for the Honing guide is great for keeping the bevel square.

(03-06-2023, 08:23 PM)barryvabeach Wrote: If you go side to side, I would think it would be tough to avoid rolling.  I go front to back, and don't have that problem.  The Lee Valley  Chisel attachment for the Honing guide is great for keeping the bevel square.

Is this what you are talking about? Veritas Mk.II Narrow-Blade Honing Guide - Lee Valley Tools
Thank you for your reply.
(03-06-2023, 07:45 PM)dawoodguy Wrote: Serious question. What is the best way to flatten the back of a 1/8" chisel without it rolling? I have gouged a divot before and rounded edges. Frustrating.....

There is just so little bearing surface it''s really easy to want to roll. Lighter pressure may help.

Ron
"which plane should I use for this task?......the sharp one"

http://www.breseplane.blogspot.com/
The key is holding the chisel steady in one position while flattening the back. You don't need to flatten the whole back - only the first 1/2' to 1". Grip the handle firmly and maintain that consistent angle. I like to move the chisel back and forth with the long axis. Apply pressure from your non-dominant hand on top of the chisel just behind the bevel. Check progress periodically and adjust as necessary.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(03-07-2023, 08:27 AM)AHill Wrote: The key is holding the chisel steady in one position while flattening the back.  You don't need to flatten the whole back - only the first 1/2' to 1".  Grip the handle firmly and maintain that consistent angle.  I like to move the chisel back and forth with the long axis.  Apply pressure from your non-dominant hand on top of the chisel just behind the bevel.  Check progress periodically and adjust as necessary.

+1 to what Allan said - practice also helps - Best of luck!
+2..you do not need a honing guide's angle setting...to flatten the back of a chisel...
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Thank you to everyone for your input & suggestions.
Best
Ray
Skewing the chisel will keep it flat.
Since I free-hand sharpen...I merely lay my index finger on top of the chisel, while doing the back of the chisel..right hand...left hand has a finger tip pressing on the end out by the bevel.  I work from the end of a stone...back and forth...
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
1/8" chisel sharpening