Hello All,

I own the Grizzly G7944 Drill Press. The depth stop is adjusted by moving two nuts to the appropriate gauge and then tightening them against each other. Its an ok system but not great. Does anyone have an alternative either shop built or purchased? 

Please see attached photo. You can see the Depth Stop in the middle of the photo.

[attachment=46648]

Thanks, Bill

Measure the threads.

Something like this may work:

https://www.amazon.com/HHIP-Quill-Stop-B...YPQE4?th=1
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
(03-07-2023, 12:44 PM)bpatters69 Wrote: Hello All,

I own the Grizzly G7944 Drill Press. The depth stop is adjusted by moving two nuts to the appropriate gauge and then tightening them against each other. Its an ok system but not great. Does anyone have an alternative either shop built or purchased? 

Please see attached photo. You can see the Depth Stop in the middle of the photo.

Thanks, Bill

You can measure the threads a try something like this Speed Nut There is a YouTube video on that Video
Larry
As mentioned, a set of speed nuts will help greatly if you find ones that fit your rod. I would add that the little angle bolted to the head that the threaded rod goes through needs to be sturdy and your picture looks like the same wimpy angle I had on a cheap delta DP. It flexed to much to be accurate. I fashioned a new one out of a small piece of 1/8 thick angle iron and was much happier with the accuracy of depth.
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!
(03-07-2023, 12:44 PM)bpatters69 Wrote: Hello All,

Thanks, Bill

Camera not working.
I put an oversized nut (Like a collar) on the threaded stop, with a threaded hole in one side of it, with a bolt, with a wing nut in the hole to lock in place. Works great
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
I use a quick release nut. The ones you push a button and it slides.
Problem is many drill presses use an acme thread for the stop post. Mills are usually 1/2-20 thread.
Delta used acme, they also offered a quick nut option, I've never seen one for sale.

Ed

(03-08-2023, 03:11 PM)EdL Wrote: Problem is many drill presses use an acme thread for the stop post. Mills are usually 1/2-20 thread.
Delta used acme, they also offered a quick nut option, I've never seen one for sale.

Ed

Both Delta and Powermatic use an acme thread 5/8-10 stop rod (the USA-made ones anyway)
Delta made a 402-04-408-5005 stop nut assembly that's my favorite.  The Powermatic stop rod is a little thicker than the Delta's so to make the top nut fit it the slot has to be widened.

Ideas for Drill Press depth Stop