I have a shop-made carrier that holds sheet goods from the bottom and that works okay, but I'm considering getting one that grips the plywood from the top. It just seems more ergonomic to me and doesn't require having to lift the sheet onto the carrier.

There are a lot of sellers and price ranges out there ... from $25 to $50+ for a single gripper/carrier and then there's prices of like $40-50 for two for the lower priced ones.
Have you used more than one brand of a gripper/carrier? What do you prefer and why?

Here's one on AMAZON for an example.

thanks
Ray

Mine is the Gorilla Gripper which is a knock off.  It is a game changer in carrying sheet goods for an oooold man.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Well a couple years ago I cheaped out and got the $10 variety from Lowes, Marshalltown brand. It sucks. 

Hopefully it was the last time I'll ever have to use one.
My own two hands.

I should actually use something like that. I'm relatively young, strong, and in great shape, and it's nearly impossible to handle a full sheet of almost anything without damaging it. It almost always requires a helper. Sheet goods are just a huge pain.
I just made a roller that clamps to one corner. I then pick up the other corner and roll the whole sheet to where I want it.
(03-15-2023, 06:45 AM)DogwoodTales Wrote: I have a shop-made carrier that holds sheet goods from the bottom and that works okay, but I'm considering getting one that grips the plywood from the top. It just seems more ergonomic to me and doesn't require having to lift the sheet onto the carrier.

There are a lot of sellers and price ranges out there ... from $25 to $50+ for a single gripper/carrier and then there's prices of like $40-50 for two for the lower priced ones.
Have you used more than one brand of a gripper/carrier? What do you prefer and why?

Here's one on AMAZON for an example.

thanks

The ergonomics of that style looks awful to me.  I use a simple hook that goes under the bottom of the sheet with a handle high enough that I don't have to bend down very far but still lifts the sheet off the ground when I straighten up.  Just lift one end and slide a block of wood underneath.  The hook will then fit under the middle of the sheet.  

John

(03-15-2023, 09:48 AM)jteneyck Wrote: The ergonomics of that style looks awful to me.  I use a simple hook that goes under the bottom of the sheet with a handle high enough that I don't have to bend down very far but still lifts the sheet off the ground when I straighten up.  Just lift one end and slide a block of wood underneath.  The hook will then fit under the middle of the sheet.  

John

well ergonomics is also a personal preference too and the ergonomics of this don't appear to be any worse than the under-carry kind (that I already have a shop made one) but with the added benefit of not having to lift the plywood onto the carrier and get it centered just right. It just looks easier to manage than an under carry. Certainly either is easier than just using my two hands with partially torn rotator cuffs in both shoulders - which condition sometimes make it a little heavier to lift the sheet good onto an undermount carrier.

I saw a video-ad for one online and it showed how to use it to pick up sheet goods off a stack at the box store and that kinda got me sold on the idea of finally getting one. Sometimes I'll ask for help from the store, but sometimes I don't want to wait for that help and I don't have that help when I get the sheet goods back to the shop.
Ray
(03-15-2023, 09:48 AM)jteneyck Wrote: The ergonomics of that style looks awful to me.  I use a simple hook that goes under the bottom of the sheet with a handle high enough that I don't have to bend down very far but still lifts the sheet off the ground when I straighten up.  Just lift one end and slide a block of wood underneath.  The hook will then fit under the middle of the sheet.  

John

Likewise...https://www.lowes.com/pd/QLT-by-Marshalltown-Drywall-Panel-Carrier/1000208721
I've had one like this for the last 20 years, very ergonomic.

https://www.toolmarts.com/big-horn-19609...gKPufD_BwE
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I use the Fastcap "Speed Skate" to move sheet goods around the shop.  It is a lot like Willyou's idea.
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
what is your preferred plywood gripper/carrier?