whirlpool side-by-side refrig.
ice cube production inside door is fine
getting cubes into a glass OUTSIDE the door...nada.....just a buzz
water dispenser is fine
the chute appears to be clean as much as I can see without trying to take things apart.
suggestions?

(03-15-2023, 09:58 AM)varkpilot Wrote: whirlpool side-by-side refrig.
ice cube production inside door is fine
getting cubes into a glass OUTSIDE the door...nada.....just a buzz
water dispenser is fine
the chute appears to be clean as much as I can see without trying to take things apart.
suggestions?

I have the problem of cubes freezing together inside fridge and not allowing them to go down and feed the dispenser.   I just break apart and it works.   Mostly happens when you don't use much ice.  Roly
Agree with Roly. Ice is likely frozen. Whoda thunk it? Is your ice bucket in the door or one of the freezer shelves?

Take all the ice out of the "bucket". Put the bucket back in. Press the button inside the freezer to make it think the freezer door is shut. Now press the paddle switch on the door. If the auger turns, you're all good.

If not, well we have to dig deeper.

(03-16-2023, 12:06 PM)DieselDennis Wrote: Agree with Roly.  Ice is likely frozen.  Whoda thunk it?  Is your ice bucket in the door or one of the freezer shelves? 

Take all the ice out of the "bucket".  Put the bucket back in.  Press the button inside the freezer to make it think the freezer door is shut.  Now press the paddle switch on the door.  If the auger turns, you're all good. 

If not, well we have to dig deeper.

Yupp...Just went thru this at my mothers house. Pulled out the cube bin and removed the glob of welded cubes, after which all was good...for now, that is...
Refrigerators with water and ice through the door is always going to be a problem. It’s an incompatible combination for convenience not for sound design practices.
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
We have a similar fridge. Pull the ice cube bin out and see if there is ice in it, and if it is loose or frozen together.
I had to dig into ours further- there was no ice cubes- where the water flowed down to the tray where the cubes are frozen was frozen up- thawed it out, but it back together and all is good. I think there was a time when the water was turned off to the fridge- it called for water and a little bit flowed in from the pressure left in the line.

FWIW

We have a side by side KitchenAid made by Whirlpool. Your symptoms sound exactly like our issue two years ago and it ended up being the ice auger motor. It buzzed but no joy. Got a replacement part from PartsDr.com. I see Amazon sells it now too.

Bad news it was $120, good news it was easy to replace...access was from the inside of the fridge door. A 10 minute job.
Thanks, everybody, for your input.
I checked everything  that was suggested EXCEPT getting a new augur.  Family decision to forgo.  So used to opening the door to get ice cubes that the $120 didn't seem worth it.
Hope the April 1st jokes you recv'd were funny ones!  :>)
Ice and water through the door was one thing we strictly avoided when picking out
our latest refrigerator. Caused more problems than it is worth, with ice and water
getting all over the floor. However "careful" a person might be. That and the cost/complexity
made the "convenience" immaterial.
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
ice cube discharge in refrig freezer door