so, the plan is, this will be a 2-piece cake stand w/ a lazy susan . . . workin' on the top part now  --  that's a 24" disk and 8" faceplate this is all mounted to:

[attachment=47011]

bottom piece you can sorta see around the top left  --  between the light and disc.

pretty happy with how it's working out on the little lathe  --  the only complaint it has is on shutdown, but i think it's cause it takes a while for it to stop.  while it's running, zero issues.

back view:

[attachment=47012]

definitely the biggest thing i've ever turned, and i was a little nervous when first starting, but going well so far . . . just taking my time.  
Big Grin

Very interesting.  Looks like five rings so far; how many rings do you think your banjo can accommodate?  Also looks like you are able to do larger rings on the same jig, with some adjustment.
The engineering minds of woodworkers never ceases to amaze me.

Thank you for thinking outside of the box and showing your work.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood

(03-27-2023, 07:35 AM)Bill Holt Wrote: Very interesting.  Looks like five rings so far; how many rings do you think your banjo can accommodate?  Also looks like you are able to do larger rings on the same jig, with some adjustment.
The engineering minds of woodworkers never ceases to amaze me.

Thank you for thinking outside of the box and showing your work.

thanks!  i think maybe i could go another 2-3 rings with this setup.  very pleasantly surprised how sturdy it feels with the extension piece on there.  
Yes

it's the "sandeply" from H-D that makes up the 24" disk, which i don't love, but it was the flatest thing i could find when i was there.  that's why i made sure everything was through bolted.

i'll be using the same disc when i get to the bottom piece, i'll just have to remake some supports for the smaller diameter.

oh, and also, i've been very impressed with the faceplates i got too:

RGWOOD 8" Steel Wood Lathe Face Plate, 1-1/4" x RH 8tpi Threaded with set screws to lock on spindle for reverse turning - - Amazon.com
getting closer!  
Big Grin

[attachment=47600]

got a start on the handle for the dome for this . . . figured i'd just mimic the shape of the cake stand:

[attachment=47601]
The knob looks nice, and the cake stand looks great.  I'm curious why you are waiting to apply finish to the stand.  I have turned only three segmented pieces, so the thought of turning the cake stand dome seems extremely challenging...to me.  Sure hope you will show us some "in the process" pictures.

(06-13-2023, 07:03 AM)Bill Holt Wrote: The knob looks nice, and the cake stand looks great.  I'm curious why you are waiting to apply finish to the stand.  I have turned only three segmented pieces, so the thought of turning the cake stand dome seems extremely challenging...to me.  Sure hope you will show us some "in the process" pictures.

finish will be the next step.  did 2 coats of danish oil to the top first.  h@ll  --  i'm just kinda wingin' it.  
Laugh

still gotta put a decent sized hole in the bottom piece, and also the bottom of the top piece, so i can attach the lazy susan.  
Yes
can not wait to see it done
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.

(06-13-2023, 09:25 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: can not wait to see it done

thanks . . . gettin' closer!  
Big Grin
aaaaand . . . we're done!  
Big Grin

overall, pretty happy with it, but there's definitely at least one thing i'd do differently.  the top layer of the base is too chunky for me, and i would thin that down.

i am pretty pleased with how i got the lazy susan hardware recessed.

[attachment=48062][attachment=48063][attachment=48064][attachment=48065]
Well I agree, great job on the lazy susan installation.  What did you use for the center plug?  I'm new to segmenting and the club challenge for August is to turn a segmented bowl.
gettin' bigger!