I've been using the Trend lap fluid on with my diamond plates.  No complaints, but...Seems like I've heard or read of a number of household liquids that make excellent "lapping fluids".  Two questions:
   1.  What do you guys use?
   2.  What should I avoid using?
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood

I use windex glass cleaner when I have it or simple green diluted with water when i don't. I have a known quality stone by DMT. A dual sided coarse/extra fine that is about fifteen years old and it is still working ok and has never rusted. That and a strop is my sharpening system.
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!
(04-10-2023, 06:49 AM)Bill Holt Wrote: I've been using the Trend lap fluid on with my diamond plates.  No complaints, but...Seems like I've heard or read of a number of household liquids that make excellent "lapping fluids".  Two questions:
   1.  What do you guys use?
   2.  What should I avoid using?
WD40 works very well...mineral spirits does also but some people object to the smell.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(04-10-2023, 08:49 AM)Timberwolf Wrote: ............
WD40 works very well...mineral spirits does also but some people object to the smell.

Can't remember where I saw it, but somebody who looked at the msds for the Trend lapping fluid came to the conclusion that it was ultimately just odorless mineral spirits.
''How can we ever hope to understand atoms?'' Heisenberg had lamented that day.

''I think we may yet be able to do so,'' Bohr replied. ''But in the process we may have to learn what the word 'understanding' really means.''

(04-10-2023, 09:37 AM)imapseudonym Wrote: Can't remember where I saw it, but somebody who looked at the msds for the Trend lapping fluid came to the conclusion that it was ultimately just odorless mineral spirits.
came to the conclusion that it was ultimately just odorless mineral spirits.

IMO, there's no "Magic potion" out there..Water and dish soap, glass cleaner, ammonia, rubbing alcohol...all work to "float" the swarf to prevent clogging the spaces between the abrasive diamonds..that's the intent, but in addition, WD40 and other petroleum products will also keep the tool being sharpened from rusting. Anything containing water can cause rust. Mineral spirits is good because it evaporates and leaves no oily residue.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Smile 
Auto glass cleaner. Paul Sellers says use it :-)
I use just plain tap water. If you flatten water stones with the diamond plate one can't use mineral spirits. I use a heat gun to dry the plate. No rust and no build up in the valleys of the plate in 4years. I use the heat gun for other things so it is not a big deal.

Tom
I use water. I don't know of many diamond plates that are subject to a buildup of swarf to the same degree as water stones or oil stones. If you're worried about buildup of swarf, just rinse off the stone frequently. I dry off my tool with a paper towel or shop towel. I have never had a wet diamond stone rust on me, but I wipe them off with a fresh paper towel.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Auto glass cleaners do not have ammonia and if you're going to use a glass cleaner this is the one to use. Household glass cleaners ("Windex") have ammonia. You don't want this on tools.
Thank you gentlemen, I love this place.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Lapping Fluid