For my needs I’m leaning toward the 2014. Currently have an older jet 1221. I’ve never had variable speed or reverse. Don’t intend to turn any large bowls. Any thoughts you’d like to share. Thanks

14" is a little small if you want to do vases, weed pots, urns, or peppermills. By the time you account for the space taken by a chuck and live center, I don't know if there is enough room left for doing boxes of the size of Beads of Courage boxes.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.

(04-16-2023, 09:17 PM)iclark Wrote: 14" is a little small if you want to do vases, weed pots, urns, or peppermills. By the time you account for the space taken by a chuck and live center, I don't know if there is enough room left for doing boxes of the size of Beads of Courage boxes.

Powermatic naming conventions are reversed--the 2014 is a 14" swing with 20" between centers.  The Jet 1221 is 12" swing with 21" between centers.  Trips up a lot of people!!
earl

(04-17-2023, 07:14 AM)greenacres2 Wrote: Powermatic naming conventions are reversed--the 2014 is a 14" swing with 20" between centers.  The Jet 1221 is 12" swing with 21" between centers.  Trips up a lot of people!!
earl

You are right about me getting the 2014 backwards.
Blush

The 20" is not as restrictive as the 14" but that 20" can still get tight for a Forstner bit drilling a peppermill.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.

(04-18-2023, 12:32 AM)iclark Wrote: You are right about me getting the 2014 backwards.
Blush

The 20" is not as restrictive as the 14" but that 20" can still get tight for a Forstner bit drilling a peppermill.

Fully agree with that!!  Have a few scars on my right elbow to prove it...didn't take long to learn to remove the live center at times!!
For me personally I will not buy anything else from Powermatic.  To many problems and the worst customer service anywhere.

Either Rikon or Robust of which Robust you will never be sorry.  The other one is Oneway lathes.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I'm a grizzly fan I have 3 of them. The 2014 powermatic is $2800. A grizzly 14X20 benchtop is $725. I have a Grizzly 838. It is a 16X24 for $1795, variable speed, reverse, if needed an extenstion for 43 in. length or 28 in. bowl. I had to look at foot print and this fit very well. No complaints on performance.

The powermatic at $2800 you could get a GO766 grizz. 22X42 for $2795. It's a monster. Used a friends and I would have one but for the foot print.

Now the naysayers can pile on because it's not mustard, white or black.
There is an available 13" bed extension for the 2014.

[Image: jpw-6294755__13__74182.1689064045.jpg?c=2]
just to throw it out there as an option . . . i got this maybe a year ago, and i am VERY happy with it:

Record Power Coronet Herald 14 inch EVS Lathe (highlandwoodworking.com)

sliding / rotating headstock was the biggest selling point, and i've successfully turned over 18" diameter with no issues.  
Yes
not sure if can get in the US, but this one looks pretty sweet too:

Midi Pro Woodturning Lathe | Midi pro woodturning lathe | Stratos / Twister / Midi Lathes | Lathes | HOPE woodturning
Those who own or have used PM 2014 any negatives or positives