I have been wearing progressive lenses for a few years now as my primary glasses, and find myself in the bad habit of not switching out to safety glasses in the shop.

Anybody have any suggestions?

I’m considering trying to find a set of safety glasses with fairly large lenses and either get progressive lenses or bifocals for the shop.  

May even consider a set of readers only safety glasses if that would work, but I’m thinking they would make distant vision more challenging.

Mostly I’m looking for a little help seeing the tape measure, as I have a lighted magnifier for when I really need close detail. 

Any suggestions for source and style of glasses that you have used would be appreciated.

Thanks 

Duke

(04-24-2023, 09:04 PM)JDuke Wrote: I have been wearing progressive lenses for a few years now as my primary glasses, and find myself in the bad habit of not switching out to safety glasses in the shop.

Anybody have any suggestions?

I’m considering trying to find a set of safety glasses with fairly large lenses and either get progressive lenses or bifocals for the shop.  

May even consider a set of readers only safety glasses if that would work, but I’m thinking they would make distant vision more challenging.

Mostly I’m looking for a little help seeing the tape measure, as I have a lighted magnifier for when I really need close detail. 

Any suggestions for source and style of glasses that you have used would be appreciated.

Thanks 

Duke

I wear progressive lenses in my "normal" glasses and also in my safety glasses.  I used to have a set of safety glasses in bifocals, but the switch between bifocals and progressives was uncomfortable, so I went with progressives in the safety glasses, too.

One thing I've found out about the progressives is that no two pair of glasses will be exactly the same when it comes to focal points and that transition, particularly if the glasses are done in different shops at different times.  The placement of that transition is dependent on the optical shop technician doing a measurement of your eye.  There's just enough difference between the individual techs that your measurement may not quite be the same.

I have used online vendors to get glasses before (like Zenni), but no more.  The first set I got were great.  Subsequent orders were very erratic in terms of my comfort and vision.  I've gone back to using a consistent optical shop.

I use a set of Wiley Vapor X safety glasses.  The Wileys are MILSPEC for ballistic protection and OSHA approved.  The set has a prescription insert and various replaceable shields so that I can use them outside in bright sun (dark grey), inside the shop (clear), or out at the shooting range (amber).  They look like this:

[attachment=47236]

Mine have progressive lenses.  When I need new shields, I order the shields separate.  I can also take the inserts in and have new lenses placed in them.
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")
Duke,

I use progressive safety glasses as my regular glasses. They look like regular metal frames and I get them with scratch protection and photo darkening. This way I don't have to switch glasses going into or leaving the shop and have protection all the time. If you want a separate pair for the shop consider having your optometrist give you a prescription for computer glasses. Makes close up work easier and for the distances in the shop they're fine.

Cliff
‘The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence
Charles Bukowski
I wear progressive glasses normally, but for safety glasses I prefer bifocals.  Upper part is the same prescription as my computer glasses.  The lower part is just glass without prescription since I can read without glasses but can't focus close up through the computer prescription.  This has worked for me for many years.
Where do you go for the prescription safety glasses?  Do regular glasses store carry them?  (I didn't see anything on Lenscrafter's site.)  Or do you buy the glasses and bring them to an optician?

(04-25-2023, 01:16 PM)David Stone Wrote: Where do you go for the prescription safety glasses?  Do regular glasses store carry them?  (I didn't see anything on Lenscrafter's site.)  Or do you buy the glasses and bring them to an optician?

The regular place you go for glasses will have them or can order them.   Ask them.
I don't know why, but I've never been ale to wear progressive lens glasses....so my safety glasses are bifocals.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

(04-25-2023, 01:55 PM)fredhargis Wrote: I don't know why, but I've never been ale to wear progressive lens glasses....so my safety glasses are bifocals.

A lot has to do with the manufacturer of the lens.    The basic pattern of the lens is made into the lens then ground to your spec.   For the same prescription I could not see out of one company's but the optician figured out it was a different pattern.  Lenses were remade with the lens from a different company, and they were fine .   Roly
David,

My optometrist carries them. They aren't displayed on the wall with the normal frames. If you do a search for Lenscrafters safety glasses you'll find them.

Cliff
‘The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence
Charles Bukowski
I’ve been wearing progressive lenses for a while now, and I’m still not used to them. But I’ve got an odd prescription, and my left eye is never quite in focus.

Safety glasses bifocals vs progressive lenses?