Not sure which YouTube video I saw this on, but someone mentioned using a shop vac in addition to dust collector for the table saw. 

Previously I had a DC with splitter 6” hose to bottom of saw, and 4” to within 18” of the blade guard, and then down to 2.5” for the final 18”. 
At best this worked OK. 

Just a few days ago, I switched over to a rigid shop vac with 2.5” running all the way to the blade guard, and it works tremendously better.  I was even a little concerned that the plastic sides of the sawstop guard might get sucked into the blade. 

As an extra side benefit I have both the DC and the shop vac wired to a home built box that senses current from saw and turns both on simultaneously. 

Duke

Now if I could find some pipe that was fairly thin walled to make an over table support

Yes, a shop vac will work better especially with a narrow hood. Also other applications like miter saw, drill press, and hand tools. This is b/c you need suction more than volume.

With a standard blower type collector, every step down in diameter dramatically decreases suction.
I’ve been running DC below and shop vac above for quite a while. It’s quite helpful for tablesaw, router table and some others. I have 2” PVC piped around the shop ceiling with blastgates so it’s convenient to drop down to each tool or access point, and the vac and cyclone are stationary.
(05-04-2023, 07:28 AM)JDuke Wrote: Not sure which YouTube video I saw this on, but someone mentioned using a shop vac in addition to dust collector for the table saw. 

Rob Cosman had a really nice video on bandsaw dust collection with an undertable fitting and a shop vac.

Matt

(05-06-2023, 09:07 PM)mdhills Wrote: Rob Cosman had a really nice video on bandsaw dust collection with an undertable fitting and a shop vac.

Matt

I’m beginning to think a solution like Mathias Wandel with a purpose built high suction device at several high producers of dust would be a good idea.   The shop vac has certainly helped on the table saw.

(05-07-2023, 07:01 AM)JDuke Wrote: I’m beginning to think a solution like Mathias Wandel with a purpose built high suction device at several high producers of dust would be a good idea.   The shop vac has certainly helped on the table saw.

Gah... I totally misread the original post and thought the question was about bandsaws.  Shop vacs work well if you have dust at a very confined point.  Maybe blade guard and/or a good shroud below the table?
DC's and ShopVac's each have their place.  DC's work well when you let them move the air they are designed for.  If you restrict the flow, like neck down a 4" line to 2-1/2" it won't produce the flow needed to move dust/chips.  No surprise, DC's can't handle much static pressure loss.  ShopVac's are the other end of the spectrum.  They can work at higher static pressure but can't move a lot of air, so they work best with small diameter hose.  This is exactly what you saw with your table saw.  

But before you run out and buy a new shopvac, or tie up one you already own, you should reconsider how you have things plumbed . DC's have been shown to work on tablesaws for, what, 50 years?  I don't know, but it's a really long time.  The key is to provide enough airflow through the cabinet so the DC can maintain the airflow it needs to remove the dust/chips.  Blocking off openings in the cabinet often is counterproductive.  I'm not saying to just leave the front door off, but the DC needs to move air to move the dust, so make sure it can.  Where the air flows is just as important, which is why you just don't leave the door off.  New saws often have blade shrouds to channel the dust towards the DC outlet.  If you're uphappy with the dust collection efficiency in your TS then look at how to better manage where the air flows.  Baffles often solve the problem.   

An overhead guard works the same way.  If it can support a 4" hose and the guard is designed with an equal cross sectional air inlet, a DC should do a good job.  If the guard only has a 2-1/2" port, however, a shopvac is likely the better option, although mine works fine with my DC.  

John
Table saw dust collection