I wondered about this with previous dust deputy more from a flow standpoint than footprint but now with the low profile variant it seems like someone would either offer or modify a shop vacuum to have the inlet centered on the bottom and a small dust bin to mate with these dust deputy style separators.

(05-20-2023, 09:36 AM)JDuke Wrote: I wondered about this with previous dust deputy more from a flow standpoint than footprint but now with the low profile variant it seems like someone would either offer or modify a shop vacuum to have the inlet centered on the bottom and a small dust bin to mate with these dust deputy style separators.

Confused

They wouldn't work with an inlet on the bottom.
What is going to make a shop vac not work with inlet on the bottom.

If the purpose of the dust deputy is to get all but the finest dust in its bucket, and most of what makes it into the shop vac is the very fine stuff that’s going to largely be stuck to the filter, then why wouldn’t it work to have the inlet of the vac in the bottom directly above the dust deputy?

If you wanted to go a little further and keep the dust that does make it into shop vac from collecting around the bottom inlet, then you run a round piece of plastic about 4” up from the inlet 4-5 inches.

This would also make the entire contraption more compact and you wouldn’t lose suction to the flex hose that most use to connect shop vac to dust deputy.

(05-22-2023, 01:51 PM)JDuke Wrote: What is going to make a shop vac not work with inlet on the bottom. 

If the purpose of the dust deputy is to get all but the finest dust in its  bucket, and most of what makes it into the shop vac is the very fine stuff that’s going to largely be stuck to the filter, then why wouldn’t it work to have the inlet of the vac in the bottom directly above the dust deputy?

If you wanted to go a little further and keep the dust that does make it into shop vac from collecting around the bottom inlet, then you run a round piece of plastic about 4” up from the inlet 4-5 inches.

This would also make the entire contraption more compact and you wouldn’t lose suction to the flex hose that most use to connect shop vac to dust deputy.

see i.c.'s comments -

The vac turbine doesn't much care where it's mounted.  

The fluid dynamics of a cyclone are greatly affected by where the inlet is located.    On the bottom ain't no good.
No
(05-20-2023, 09:36 AM)JDuke Wrote: I wondered about this with previous dust deputy more from a flow standpoint than footprint but now with the low profile variant it seems like someone would either offer or modify a shop vacuum to have the inlet centered on the bottom and a small dust bin to mate with these dust deputy style separators.

I am having trouble picturing what you suggest.

The low-profile dust deputy looks like a Thien Baffle setup.

For a vortex separator, if you move the sucking outlet for the vortex from the top to the bottom, I doubt that you would get enough centrifugal spin on the flow to separate out the dust. Plus, the dust/shavings would still get sucked out with the flow.

Are you suggesting stacking the shop vac on top of the vortex unit?
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Apparently I wasn’t clear

My suggestion was to cut a hole in the bottom of a shop vacuum and close its original inlet. Then mount that atop a dust deputy.
With the old design that would be 4ft tall and very too heavy.
The new design of low profile would shave about a foot off the height.

If one were to further modify a shop vacuum to make its dust reservoir chamber only slightly taller than its filter, you could further lower the center of gravity.

Is that more clear?
Ok, now I get what you're asking.
What does saving a foot of height get you ?  If height is a concern, why not place the vac on the floor beside the separator?  that will offer the best balance.
How about getting a vac with less capacity ?  The turbines are pretty close in capacity whether they're attached to a 6 gallon receptacle or a 20 gallon one.
Why not ditch the receptacle all together?
-or-
This unconventional layout would get you shorter too:
https://cc831cbd7a5a3a616f82-5093119187e...0750c9.jpg

This is the closest to what I’m talking about.

One of the inherent problems with most other setups, is the loss of airflow from the flex hose connection between the dust deputy and the vac. Add a couple 90 degree bends, and you’ve dropped the suction significantly.

The benefit of mounting the vac on top of dust deputy with the vac inlet cut into its bottom is the elimination of flex hose, as well as any 90 degree bends.

More velocity in the dust deputy not only means Better suction from it, it also means better separation of the dust from airflow as well. Thus a better functioning separator.

A shopvac has a relatively low flow with a relatively high pressure difference compared to a DC, which means the flow resistance from these connections does not hurt the performance as much.  But it is a better for flow and more compact to do as you say.  The Bucket Head shopvac top that fits a 5 gal bucket is the easiest to adapt this way, though it's not a particularly powerful vacuum.

Here's a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kF0zPiCarq4
I have one sort of like this, made from a cheap bucket vac and two 5 gal buckets.
Quote:The benefit of mounting the vac on top of dust deputy with the vac inlet cut into its bottom is the elimination of flex hose, as well as any 90 degree bends. 

More velocity in the dust deputy not only means Better suction from it, it also means better separation of the dust from airflow as well. Thus a better functioning separator.

Yes, all correct in theory. 

In practice too, but the differences most of the time out in the real world are not likely to be noticed by you.  At least not without test gear.  So, I wouldn’t sweat it.  

While we’re on a theoretical tangent - aren’t you worried about the poorer separation that the low profile version has over its taller brother ?
New dust deputy low profile?