Rebate planes
Couple of years back, before the two iron planes arrived, I made an edge plane

recycled an old, H-F lathe chisel for the cutter.

Had a fence you could adjust by loosening these two bolts..

As the fence would slide in these slots.

Called a Traditional Chinese Edge Plane.    Iron is set at a skew, as well.  

From a video by GE Hong.    Mine was out of old White Oak.
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(01-29-2017, 09:20 AM)EricU Wrote: Jim, you go full depth with the groove?

Yes. The 1/8" groove is the only part that needs close attention. It has to be started shallow--think wispy shavings--so it won't cause tearout. If the joint needs to be perfect on the high side, you can always score it with a knife before you start. As you proceed with the groove, make it as usual but pay special attention to the ends. As noted, the #45 is a little heavy and can often dip at the end of a board once the support runs out. When finished, the groove should be the exact shoulder corner. And this corner is cleaner than a corner created with a plane nicker. 

When you hog out the waste, you do not have to be precise on the edge because you have a 1/8" gap of air on the inside. All you really have to do is make sure the bottom cut lines up with the groove. I usually take mine down pretty close and then finish up with a shoulder plane.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com