new piece
Fantastic piece of work.  A beautiful piece to have in your home.  Thanks for posting,

Frank S in IA
Thanks for all the comments. The cabinet will be in a local show beginning this month. Some details. Everything is veneered. Except the legs – they are solid wood. I found a great pile of totally clear vg doug fir and could not resist figuring out a piece to take advantage of it

Bill – df is a tough wood to use – it splinters so easily and sometimes when sanding the edges of the grain just lift up and run. But because this wood had no knots and so straight grained it made it a bit easier to work.

The door work is not inlay – it’s marquetry – cutting veneered wood to create the image – the door is 5 layers of 5/64” df veneers – cut in the shop. The side pieces and back are single layer of veneers over a Baltic birch core. The top is the same veneers over a 5/8” core of mdf – sorry did not get a pic of it.

John – I believe the steaming of the madrone is what changes the color to the darker color. I was not involved in that process – had a friend who was really a wood geek and did all kinds of experiments and processes with different species.
The side and back panels do have the horizontal top – I wanted to carry the line of the drawer front. Around the cabinet, aånd it worked out better for the length of flitches I had.

The finish is 2 coats of 1# sprayed shellac and then about 8 coats of padded on 2# shellac. Finally it is sprayed with 2 coasts of varnish and then polished.
That's a beautiful piece for sure! Lot's of intricate details.
Frank
Gorgeous work, JC. Thanks for sharing.
Wow! Outstanding!
Amazing piece!!

So well planned out and executed.
Quite nice! That may be the only cabinet where doug fir is the primary wood and mahogany is the secondary wood.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
You really dressed up that Douglas fir. I never would have guessed looking at it.  Very nice work. You should do well at the show.
Beautifully designed and constructed!
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.