garage door opener
I went with a chamberlain 3/4 hp chain drive. The old door is heavy and insulated. Well balanced. I'm going to find where to send a review for it and give them a bad one.

It came with no installation manual. My internet is slow and painful to download anything. It was missing part of the door arm and missing one of the clips to hold one of the lower sensors.
I came home and got on the net and finally found a customer service number. Call and the guy had the accent and talked like a physic woodpecker. Told him several time to slow down and he did not understand my problem. No installation manual. I finally got fed up and told him I had a better idea. Throw it back in the box and take it back.

I "engineered" it together using old parts from the old one.
I've only ever had chain drives, which are easy for me to maintain.
All the truck shops that I worked in were either manual chain or belt drive. Belts drives are fairly quiet.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(08-04-2024, 02:25 PM)EatenByLimestone Wrote: Jackshaft openers can’t be installed on doors without a jackshaft.

um.................................WRONG !
Yes

(08-04-2024, 03:43 PM)JosephP Wrote: You beat me to it.

um.........................WRONG AGAIN !  
Rolleyes

If you fellas woulda bothered to read any of the literature for the model linked you might not have made such an error.

this for those of you that can't be bothered to read the pertinent model specs:

notice all those modern garage doors with torsion springs and be delivered from ignorant bliss.

https://www.google.com/search?client=fir...=921&dpr=1
Bug 
(08-11-2024, 06:23 PM)Cabinet Monkey Wrote: um.................................WRONG !
Yes

Rolleyes

If you fellas woulda bothered to read any of the literature for the model linked you might not have made such an error.

notice all those modern garage doors with torsion springs and be delivered from ignorant bliss.

[Image: raised.gif]
Steve

Mo.

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(08-11-2024, 06:23 PM)Cabinet Monkey Wrote: um.................................WRONG !
Yes

Rolleyes

I'm not sure why I'm being quoted as "wrong" when I agreed with your post.  Not that I'm always right, but it seems like an odd place to be tagged as "WRONG AGAIN" when I quoted your post saying you beat me to the recommendation for a jackshaft opener.  Then you again seem to recommend it.  Not sure what point you might be trying to make that i missed?
For that matter, I'm not sure where EatenByLimestone is wrong either.  Sure MOST doors now have a jackshaft, but not all.  Sure, one could be added in MOST circumstances...but that changes the scope of a project.

If it's possible I still agree that a jackshaft opener is a great option.  Pay once, cry once.  Enjoy the opener.  Super easy to install.  It did it on 14' tall doors by myself.
Bug 
(08-11-2024, 07:24 PM)JosephP Wrote: For that matter, I'm not sure where EatenByLimestone is wrong either.  Sure MOST doors now have a jackshaft, but not all.  Sure, one could be added in MOST circumstances...but that changes the scope of a project.

If it's possible I still agree that a jackshaft opener is a great option.  Pay once, cry once.  Enjoy the opener.  Super easy to install.  It did it on 14' tall doors by myself.

CM just jerked his self. Neither of you were wrong.
Steve

Mo.

WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Can jack shaft openers be retrofit onto an existing torsion spring operated door?  I have a chain drive unit now that's still working well, but when it gets to be time to replace it I'd rather go with something quieter and w/o the overhead rail and drive unit.  

If a jack shaft opener can't be retrofitted it might be time to consider replacing the door as well.  It's unbelievably heavy and impossible to open if one of the torsion springs breaks, which happens every 5 to 10 years.  What a pain they can be to replace.  

John
If you have a shaft across the top/front of the door (the shaft with torsion springs) and the wall space to mount it, yes, a jackshaft opener should be an easy install.

The ones I installed can go on either side, so when there are 2 doors, one electrical receptacle can be installed between the doors and one opener on the right, other on the left (if there is enough room between the doors for that.
(08-12-2024, 10:21 AM)JosephP Wrote: If you have a shaft across the top/front of the door (the shaft with torsion springs) and the wall space to mount it, yes, a jackshaft opener should be an easy install.

The ones  I installed can go on either side, so when there are 2 doors, one electrical receptacle can be installed between the doors and one opener on the right, other on the left (if there is enough room between the doors for that.

Thanks.  Yes. Then as long as the shaft sticks out enough for whatever pulley/coupling/etc connects to it, it seems like it will work.  

John