115V to 230V Capacitor Advice
Changing the voltage will not give you noticeably more power. The motor should still run on the original capacitor.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

Bug 
(08-12-2024, 09:54 AM)blackhat Wrote: Changing the voltage will not give you noticeably more power. The motor should still run on the original capacitor.

Exactly. He needs to use what came on the motor originally, like the one I linked to.
It works regardless of 120 or 220.

I converted my Jet 6x89 edge sander from factory 120V to 220V simply by changing the wiring  under the connector cover and the plug. Same capacitor.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(08-12-2024, 09:54 AM)blackhat Wrote:  Changing the voltage will not give you noticeably more power.
Holy Cow!!!!!!!!  Where did I get the idea that 220 was better (more power) than 110.  I've gone to considerable trouble and some expense.
The motor should still run on the original capacitor.
The way I read the wiring diagram, I agree.  But my "mentor on hand" thought a 250V capacitor was necessary.
(08-12-2024, 12:49 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Exactly. He needs to use what came on the motor originally, like the one I linked to.
It works regardless of 120 or 220.

I converted my Jet 6x89 edge sander from factory 120V to 220V simply by changing the wiring  under the connector cover and the plug. Same capacitor.
Clearly, I should have asked before I jumped.  Maybe it is true..."there is no cure for stupidity".
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Your mentor is wrong. Put the original capacitor back in the saw, it is correct as supplied for either voltage.
No shame. We've probably all goofed at one point or another.
Steve

Mo.

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(08-12-2024, 02:58 PM)Bill Holt Wrote: Holy Cow!!!!!!!!  Where did I get the idea that 220 was better (more power) than 110.  I've gone to considerable trouble and some expense.

You shouldn't feel bad about that, it seems to be a somewhat common misconception in the woodworking world.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
It can be that the saw has more power when wired for 240v, but that would indicate your wiring was inadequate to deliver sufficient power at 120v. That's why some notice a difference.
(08-13-2024, 10:36 AM)Alan S Wrote: It can be that the saw has more power when wired for 240v, but that would indicate your wiring was inadequate to deliver sufficient power at 120v.  That's why some notice a difference.

+1.
Mark in Sugar Land, TX
Bug 
(08-13-2024, 10:36 AM)Alan S Wrote: It can be that the saw has more power when wired for 240v, but that would indicate your wiring was inadequate to deliver sufficient power at 120v.  That's why some notice a difference.

+2 [Image: yellowsmilewinkgrin.gif]
Steve

Mo.

WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Bingo. More than a few people have contractor style saws running on the only circuit in their garage. What else is that circuit powering? A 1.5 h.p. motor will draw somewhere around 12 - 15 amps @ 120 volts. If the circuit the saw is plugged into is 15 amps, any other load is going to overload the circuit, lower the voltage and make the motor seem weak. Even if the circuit the saw is plugged into is 20 amp, it might also be powering a shop vac "for dust collection" or something like that. In my case I have a 15 amp circuit powering two outdoor outlets. It also powers the outlet in master bath room. I use an electric space heater in the master bath in the winter time. Interesting combination but there we are.