Lathe Tailstock Hand-Wheel Replacement (Help me)
The handled plastic hand-wheel on the tailstock of my Delta/Rockwell lathe 46-111 has cracked on both sides.

Now I am looking for a replacement. One that is not made of plastic and is less than $25.

Cracked Hand-Wheel:
3 spokes
4" diameter
1/2" non-thread hole
13/16" hub Depth
Slit on backside 11/16" and recedes half of hub depth (Roll pin slides in here)

Can go up to 6" diameter hand-wheel.

After looking at ENCO & McMaster Carr, there are a couple that would work, but would need modifications. It's the slit in back that would be the biggest challenge. Would possibly have to also grind down the hub depth before adding the slit. The slit is only visible from the end.

Would adding an appropriate slit by going through the sides be bad?

Besides going my current way, any other ideas?
WoodTinker
How about turning one out of wood?
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Can you take some pictures of the broken one for us?

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Will any of these work? I found one in my local ACE that worked for my old harbor Freight lathe.

http://www.grizzly.com/search?sq=handwheel

I would just drill and tap a hole for a set screw and use the flat for the slot to tighten the set screw.
"There is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people"
Quote:

It's the slit in back that would be the biggest challenge.

You may be able to cut that slit by hand using a carbide burr chucked in a Dremel...I would go with the Cast Iron.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

I have a blank cast iron one here that I have had for a few years.
It is about 4 3/4" diameter. It is not bored out though. Just raw cast iron. Send me a PM if interested. I bought it for a project and wound up not needing it.
Lee
Here are some options

http://www.grizzly.com/search?sq=handwhe...agesize=96

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
+1 with Arlin's suggestion of Grizzly. If you post a photo of the stub on the end of the lathe, that would make it easier to suggest a replacement. I think you say the current wheel uses a roll pin, but you could probably make the new one work fine with either one or three set screws in the hub - it is pretty easy to thread cast iron.
MichaelMouse said:

How about turning one out of wood?

After all, that's what a lathe is for.
Stytooner said:

I have a blank cast iron one here that I have had for a few years.
It is about 4 3/4" diameter. It is not bored out though. Just raw cast iron. Send me a PM if interested. I bought it for a project and wound up not needing it.

Thank you for the generous offer. It is very kind of you. Respectfully, I think a 6" wheel would be easier to turn.
WoodTinker