Custom Stereo Components Cabinet
He was an audiophile. In their finished attic is where he had kept all his stereo equipment. They were about gut that entire room and we would build a walk-in dressing room for them… so they also asked to have a cabinet made to hold his components. It was to sit in a much smaller room on the first floor .
After some though as to it’s size restrictions and some discussion with their a/v guy, they sent me a computer generated layout for it’s internal requirements. As I usually do all that work for clients myself, it was a pleasure working from this diagram. Now I could simply concentrate on making it handsome.
Here is that layout….

As you can see, the counter top on the left side had to pivot upward to access the turn table from above. Though more labor intensive to construct, this is much preferable to a roll-out shelf holding the turntable. The counter top needed to be made it two pieces. We made the piece from cherry, stained to a warm brown.

Here (on the work bench) you can see the ventilation slots in the unit's back as well as those cut into the shelves ...to keep the components from over-heating.

The interior mechanics required some thought as both glass doors were to recess into side pockets and an anti-slam lid arm had to be positioned in just the right place (I was running out of room).

Although this is a picture from the shop (without door pulls), you can see how we designed it with fairly clean lines, but kept paneled sides and some square trim to make sure it remained looking like furniture and not simply a unadorned ‘box’.

We have just rebuilt our website (old one wasn’t smart phone/ small device friendly) and I can now begin adding a number of new blogs (recent projects) I’ve been waiting to publish. We are still tweeking the new site (older blogs from the earlier site aren’t displaying the photos, etc, etc ) Check it out, if you'd like...
"Courage is knowing what not to fear."
www.hudsoncabinetmaking.com
Another nice project, Russel. I always like your thoughtful, restrained designs, with excellent proportions and clean workmanship.

Care to share how you stained it without any blotching, products and process?

Very well done. I'm sure the owner is pleased.

John
Russell,
Very nice execution and design on this stereo cabinet, I really like it.
It is very stereo functional but yet still looks like furniture.
This piece really appeals to me as I like fine stereo equip. and fine cabinetry and fine furniture.
Great job! I will be visiting your site to check out more for sure.
Thanks for sharing.
Gordon
Very well done. You have a good eye for the details that look like $$$$$$$$$$$$$
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I really like it. Would fit our house nicely. I would consider no pulls but bump/push catch. That's a really clean looking front. If not I know mission or A&C for me.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.