Sockets, wrenches etc.
Question 
So for those of you who don't have your shop in the garage, what do you do for mechanics tools?

I find I need sockets and wrenches on a semi-regular basis for the shop as well as in the garage and invariably what I need for one is located in the other. I don't particularly like keeping the metal tool chest in the shop as I've not found a good place for it, but I also hate trouncing to the garage whenever I need something too.

So what do you do? Keep 2 sets of tools? Keep just a separate small set of tools commonly required in the shop and your full set in the garage? Suck it up and be a man and quit whining about it like a little girl?

I'm leaning towards the latter and just hitting up a harbor freight for a few wrench sets and a socket set that I could just keep in a small drawer or something. I'd love to see pictures if you have something.
-Marc

I keep smaller, but adequate, tools sets in each location with the master set being in the garage. This was done over a long period of time, so the cost didn't seem to be as painful as it probably was. I didn't go the HF route, but that would certainly be a viable option...their tools are not the greatest, but they can do the job. I live in a farming area, and many of the farmer's have a small set of HF tools on each tractor in case something happens out in the field.....or if the hired hand thinks he needs the tools more than they do!
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I too have ended up with multiple sets of tools. One in the truck, one in the utility room and one out in the shop. Even started building a forth set for my budding HVAC hobby, career.
I hate the interruption and chasing things down when I need them - and letting LOML borrow things. So I have redundant stashes of mostly small tools in several work areas - not necessarily complete sets, just the things I might use in that place. I also keep a small set of pilot bits and driver bits in the case with my cordless drill so it's there when I have to grab-and-go, and the full set at my workbench. Probably drives minimalist LOML up the wall, but it's my version of the BS motto "Be prepared" and USMC's "Semper paratus."

Being a denizen of various flea markets, when I've seen quality mechanics tools and such I've picked them up, to the point where I have a dedicated set for plumbing, electrical and auto each in its own tool box; I have another set of mechanics tools in a box in the shop, and another in my pickup and a short set in my car.  But this is 20 years of accumulation.  If there's a flea market near you, take a trip down a few times during a month, August is good because its slow and vendors offer better deals.  Some guys literally have long tables with piles of loose tools on them, some decent makers too.  A guy I know literally specializes in buying broken Craftsman tools and returning them for new (much, much too complicated and time consuming for me); even if not broken, vintage craftsman tools were well made and can be gotten for a song.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Since the shop doesn't need super duty strength, I have a set of 3/8" drive  metric and standard sockets from HF in the shop.  They hang on the wall.  Also a set of screwdrivers, nut drivers, and Allen head wrenches in bot metric and standard, again all from HF.  That covers about 98% of shop needs for me at a reasonable cost.
Multiples.  Full array in the garage, large stuff in the tractor shed, and a 1/4 and 3/8 $49 Sears set for the basement or to carry, since it's one of the "through socket" types.

Keeping one in the formed plastic case is a great idea.  Carry from place to place.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
I have a rolling tool chest & a workbench with drawers both full of tools.
I also keep a tool bag for working on stuff around here, like the tractor & lawnmower. It has Channel Locks in it too. For the odd plumbing job, etc.
If I know I'm going to be working on something difficult, I take it to my basement shop & do it. If it's simple maintenance, I usually grab my bag & do it in the garage.

It depends on what I have to work on. Sometimes, I wait until my wife is here & use her as a gopher. Her knees are in way better shape than mine are.

My garage is unheated & uninsulated, so I don't leave any hand tools out there.
They will rust overnight.
Mechanics tools are unlike woodworking tools, they have little value used. Probably because China makes some acceptable ones for peanuts, like those silly black chrome Stanleys sets on sale for $99.  At the fleamarket if you avoid Snap-on or maybe Craftsmen, you can pick up American made tools of better quality for much less.
A man of foolish pursuits
I've got a set in the truck, a set in the trailer, Full set in the garage, small set in the shop, small set in the house, and a travel set in a tool bag.  I like to repair my own stuff when it craps out.
Mike

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room!

But not today...