Thin kerf on a chop saw?
I use an 80 tooth Freud Ultra fine finish blade on my 12" DeWalt miter saw. Have been using that blade for several years.

The problem is blade flex when making miter cuts. If I try to cut fast, the stock moves just enough to create a stepped cut, and miters do not fit well.

My rough cutting blade is the blade that came with the saw.
(08-08-2016, 10:55 AM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: I'm not conflating hook angle with the thickness of the blade.  He didn't ask about hook; he asked about thickness.

I have no clue about the angle on that blade he listed.

OP Said:  "The blade is a 24T ATB Avanti Framing/Ripping blade."  That's a table saw blade with a positive hook angle.  Not intended for miter or chop saws.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
For a 10" CMS, a thin kerf 24T blade with a fairly steep hook will work safely.  The hook is a bit steeper than is ideal. For a slider you'd definitely want a lower hook angle.

My biggest concern is that the current Avanti blades are pretty poor quality....between the low tooth count and shoddy workmanship, I'd expect the cut to be pretty rough.  The Freud Diablo or Irwin Marples blades will be much better quality and won't break the bank. If it were a 12" TK blade I'd be more concerned about deflection.
Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

(08-08-2016, 08:52 PM)AHill Wrote: OP Said:  "The blade is a 24T ATB Avanti Framing/Ripping blade."  That's a table saw blade with a positive hook angle.  Not intended for miter or chop saws.

Right.  I read the original question and answered it.  I ignored the rest of it.
Semper fi,
Brad

I tried a TK blade on my chop saw and promptly returned it. TK can't handle hard woods without deflecting to an unacceptable degree.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
I noticed most chop saw blades have 80T, vs. 24 on a ripping blade.
I understand why now. A chop saw is basically cutting across the grain instead of with it, so you'd want more teeth for a smoother finish.
Miter saw blades are thicker than ripping blades to boot.
(08-09-2016, 09:29 AM)Herb G Wrote: I noticed most chop saw blades have 80T, vs. 24 on a ripping blade.
I understand why now. A chop saw is basically cutting across the grain instead of with it, so you'd want more teeth for a smoother finish.
Miter saw blades are thicker than ripping blades to boot.

More teeth typically equates to a smoother cut if all else is equal, but blade thickness doesn't correlate very closely to the type of cut.  Blades are available in a variety of thickness.  Most common consumer blades are generally either thin kerf or full kerf....usually approximately 3/32" (0.094") or 1/8" (0.125"), with many exceptions thrown in for good measure.  

For smoother cut, most 10" chop saws would choose 60T to 80T.  

Saw Blade Tips
Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

It's not a problem to buy thin kerf blades for miter saws............they make 'em everyday.
I use a Diablo D1044S on mine  
Yes

Ed
(08-08-2016, 10:23 AM)AHill Wrote: Most chop saw blades have a negative rake angle on the teeth, vs. a positive rake angle on table saw/radial arm saw blades.  If you use a positive rank angle saw blade on a miter / chop saw, you risk the work piece getting lifted up easier.

Not really. A ras should use a 0 or negative rake blade. I found on a more powerful ras, using a low angle hook blade is not as important as on a lower powered saw.

I Haven't had a problem using a + hook blade on my miter/chop saw (non sliding)  Seems the blade rotation as it cuts, is pushing the wood against the fence. On a ras the same thing, as long as you are pulling to make the cut. On a sliding miter saw, where you push to cut, the blade rotation would have a tendency to lift the wood. 
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
(08-09-2016, 04:42 AM)knotscott Wrote: For a 10" CMS, a thin kerf 24T blade with a fairly steep hook will work safely.  The hook is a bit steeper than is ideal.  For a slider you'd definitely want a lower hook angle.  

My biggest concern is that the current Avanti blades are pretty poor quality....between the low tooth count and shoddy workmanship, I'd expect the cut to be pretty rough.  The Freud Diablo or Irwin Marples blades will be much better quality and won't break the bank.  If it were a 12" TK blade I'd be more concerned about deflection.

What's the source of newer Avanti blades? At one time Avanti blades could come from either Italy or China. The Italian blades were O.K. I thought.