Blade sharpening services?
I just brought some blades to a local guy, who charges $0.75 and inch for jointer and planer blades, so just over $50 for my 15" planer blades and 8" jointer blades  Is this the norm or are there better places on the net to send them?

Thanks, Bob
In cases like this, satisfaction with the services provided is just as important as the price. If you're happy with the job that local company did I would stick with them. If not then look elsewhere. I seriously doubt if you'll find it cheaper after you figure in round trip shipping charges.
Results are important, but I was looking at prices of new blades and offbrand blades go cheaper than what I just sent mine in for sharpening.  The 15" planer is a reliant, so I imagine the blades aren't top quality anyways.  I wonder in the future if I should just buy new ones.  I have been seriously thinking about putting a byrd head in both my jointer and planer as well.  Anyone know where to find the cheapest price for the byrd heads, with shipping?

Bob
(10-02-2016, 04:45 PM)bobs64ford352 Wrote: Anyone know where to find the cheapest price for the byrd heads, with shipping?

Bob

I would talk to Brian in sunny florida
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I just bought new 15" Powertec blades for my planer for $50 with free shipping. I think I paid $25 shipped for my last set of jointer blades.

There's another reason to call Brian. The blades he sells (when I bought mine a few years back) are Titan brand, and they are were much better than the OEM blades that came on my Delta 15". Best of both worlds, very good price and very high quality; you don't see that too often. But the 75¢/inch is probably the average rate....or very close.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
What model jointer do you have?
The Delta 37-315.

Bob
I recently paid $0.50 per inch, plus shipping from Dynamic in NY. If you can cut out the delivery, and are satisfied with both quality and turnaround time, your pricing seems reasonable. Very satisfied with Dynamic btw...
(10-02-2016, 04:45 PM)bobs64ford352 Wrote: Results are important, but I was looking at prices of new blades and offbrand blades go cheaper than .........
Don't go that route. I buy Freud blades on Amazon.