Class Action Stupidity
Stupid. 

I don't see complaining that 8' boards are really 97-98" long. 
Rolleyes

Really, it reminds me of the subway lawsuit saying a "footlong" wasnt really 12". Some people are just out to get the low hanging fruit.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

(06-23-2017, 03:01 PM)wood2woodknot Wrote: Did the lawyers advise their clients that they would not receive the bulk of the damages? That the attorneys will probably receive at least 33% of the awards and maybe even the bulk?

Usually the lead plaintiffs in class action suits receive substantially more money than the ordinary consumers in the class, and the lawyers generally get their fees paid, with a kicker if they get substantial damages. They really want their fees.  Class actions can be a valid use of the courts, witness the VW emission scandal, where the people were taken care of, but these nit picking BS class actions are abusive, in my opinion; heck, what's the value of 23% less than $9.75, or whatever, its pennies.  In my opinion, the lawyer that brought this should be sanctioned by the court, he makes all lawyers look bad and steals from my reputation as an honest lawyer, and I've been one for over 37 years.  He boils my blood.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Last week I bought 3 sheets of plywood-the sheets are marked right from the manufacturer to be 47 7/8 x 95 7/8, but the sign at BORG , said 4x8-can I sue?

Wink
A buddy of mine is building a small porch. Menard's treated "4 x 4"- he was putting a vinyl sleeve ove the posts. The sleeve would not fit over it- the post was too big. He complained to the lumber sales desk, and was told that the post is indeed over sized- so when it dries the sleeve will fit. Should he sue Mebard's or the vinyl manufacturer?

I kinda doubt this will make it to trial. Even if it does, I think the plaintiffs will have a very hard time claiming they were harmed to the tune of $5M.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Ask for $5M, settle for $1M. The lawyers get $999,000

The injuries party gets $1K and a life time supply of 3 1/2 by 3 1/2 ( nominal) white wood timbers

Soooooo.....basically what it comes down to is don't believe everything you read. Oh, & carry a tape measure, & learn to use it before you buy lumber. I don't trust anybody's numbers. When I go to the lumber store, I've ALWAYS got a tape w/me, & check their numbers to mine.
In some ways I can see their point if their project didn't meet codes because of misrepresentation at the store, but, on the other hand, if you go into everyplace takin' their measurements at word, you're just settin' fire to your own britches. IMO. Realistically, you'd expect a 4" x 4" to be just that, but if it doesn't look quite right, wouldn't common sense kick in & tell ya to check it for yourself? Sounds like a crock a bs to me.
Sawdust703
Smile

head sawdust maker
Raised
(06-23-2017, 07:01 PM)goaliedad Wrote: A buddy of mine is building a small porch. Menard's treated "4 x 4"-  he was putting a vinyl sleeve ove the posts. The sleeve would not fit over it- the post was too big. He complained to the lumber sales desk, and was told that the post is indeed over sized- so when it dries the sleeve will fit. Should he sue Mebard's or the vinyl manufacturer?

He should burn it down, collect the insurance, and pay someone to rebuild it that knows what they are doing 
Laugh

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

We can thank attorneys for the rising cost of lumber.

Now if they could only fix the picture of a hamburger compared to what you actually get.
Hoping it is a long, very expensive fight from the complainants side of things, and they lose in a spectacular manner, however 2 + 5 used to be 7, with common core math I'm probably wrong. Not much has changed for the good in recent memory.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW