Amputation and First Aid **GRAPHIC**
I found this on a non-woodworking related forum and obtained permission of those involved to post on a woodworking forum.
There is no such thing as too much horsepower, free lunch or spare change ~ anonymous

87% of people say their mental health is good to excellent. The rest are sane enough to know they are lying. ~ anonymous
No pics.

Why was he wearing gloves? Gloves are not safe around moving machinery- they can catch and draw your hand into the moving parts.
quote:

No pics.

Why was he wearing gloves? Gloves are not safe around moving machinery- they can catch and draw your hand into the moving parts.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you read the article? There was a pic and several mentions that he should not have been wearing gloves while using a tablesaw (or in my opinion around any rotating equipment).
Frank
There are two pictures on different pages of the word document. If you are not seeing them I don't know why I see them on several forums and in the word document I have. I posted this mostly for the first aid aspect and not to debate the use of gloves. I chose this method of posting because it is quite a long post and I couldn't post a link to that forum.
There is no such thing as too much horsepower, free lunch or spare change ~ anonymous

87% of people say their mental health is good to excellent. The rest are sane enough to know they are lying. ~ anonymous
In a page and a half I started to wonder how many of the 6 previous visits to the ER involved close calls or kickback issues. 

Untrained and over confident in application caused the issue. 

No one with any training would have done things in a manner as dangerous as this 

JME

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

(07-11-2017, 08:40 AM)FrankAtl Wrote: quote:

No pics.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you read the article? There was a pic and several mentions that he should not have been wearing gloves while using a tablesaw (or in my opinion around any rotating equipment).

I had only one page this morning- now it opened all of them and I see the pics.  Don't know why that happened other than I'm still using the ever so outdated 8 year old windows vista and can't get updates anymore.
Crazy

Time for a new puter.
I would look at it for first aid information, but I'm not that interested in seeing gore.

I really wonder if gloves hurt you in this situation, I'm pretty sure a tablesaw will cleanly cut through them as it cuts off your body parts.  Of course, I would never do wear them while using power equipment.
(07-11-2017, 02:57 PM)EricU Wrote: I would look at it for first aid information, but I'm not that interested in seeing gore.

I really wonder if gloves hurt you in this situation, I'm pretty sure a tablesaw will cleanly cut through them as it cuts off your body parts.  Of course, I would never do wear them while using power equipment.

Hard to say but its highly possible the gloves pulled the fingers into the blade ...  wasn't there so no clue but all it would take is the glove just touching the blade -  now of course its highly possible without gloves he would have touched the blade too
I don't know if they still do it, but the Navy used to publish a monthly safety magazine. They would always include a very graphic picture of what happens when you do unsafe things. Amputated fingers, crushed feet, impaled body parts - you name it. The point of the graphics is the same as the film you'd see in Driver's Ed in high school (back when they had Driver's Ed in HS) - to cause you to think very hard about being safe and to realize there could be consequences for not being safe.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Approach Magazine was one of them, and it was a great read.
...Naval Aviators, that had balz made of brass and the size of bowling balls, getting shot off the deck at night, in heavy seas, hoping that when they leave the deck that the ship is pointed towards the sky and not the water.

AD1 T. O. Cronkhite