Textured paint on bathroom walls?
We're redoing the basement bathroom.  It was half-done when I took a fall and messed up good shoulder and it's been a while since we worked on it.

Some of the mud and tape work was not sanded, then LOML decided to paint it anyway.
Rolleyes

And one wall has been papered and only some of it was taken off before it was painted. 
Rolleyes
No

So we're thinking the best option is textured paint.

We've done a ceiling by mixing drywall mud into paint and rolling on with a shaggy roller.

Any good ideas on how to get this finished?
Confused
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
Harbor freight texture gun and thinned drywall mud. You can do everything from a splatter coat to a knockdown. I'd suggest very heavy knockdown. Need a decent compressor to keep up with the gun or suffer long waits between swaths with the gun. I can do like two or three sweeps and then wait for the compressor to recharge using my compressor.

The shaggy roller effect doesn't appeal to me. Nor does stamping or sponge.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
It's a SMALL bathroom.  Not enough space to swing a sprayer.
No

Wild Turkey
(joined 10/1999)
Hire a painter.
Smile
Wood is good. 
(08-07-2017, 05:50 PM)Wild Turkey Wrote: It's a SMALL bathroom.  Not enough space to swing a sprayer.
No

Yes there is. If the contractors can spray my closets, you can spray your bath.

If it is that small, you can use the texture in a can at home depot. Its a surprisingly good product. A tad expensive though. I've used it for spot repair with real good effect.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
We had our house re piped after buying it. They cut out some 1' x 1' areas of the drywall, then replaced the cut out pieces. The walls had a nice knockdown finish. The repair man used a spray can, and a very thin, flexable, knockdown knife, with a light touch. Got a match, that was very close and acceptable. 
I think practice is the key.

FYI: if buying a house built between 1978 and 1995, be sure to check for polybutylene piping. It will need to be replaced before it fails. I caught it, when I did the home inspection. Got the $3K cost of replacement, knocked off the price of the house.
Went ahead and did it with a roller with a sponge cover.  LOML is happy.  Didn't take long.

Lessons learned:  
     Cut in the corners first.  Used a brush and got good coverage but matching the texture was a problem.  If I'd cut in first the roller would have covered the transition.
     If you're changing colors it would be best to paint with new color first, then texture.  Sponge roller didn't hit everywhere and I had to touch up some spots where old color showed through.
     Don't try to roll too fast.  It slings little pieces everywhere.
     Remember the drywall mud will make the color a little lighter so matching could be a problem.  Mix plenty.

But the important point is LOML is happy!
Rolleyes

Wild Turkey
(joined 10/1999)
(08-11-2017, 01:27 PM)Wild Turkey Wrote: But the important point is LOML is happy!
Rolleyes

Yep, the only thing that matters......
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Beadboard.  For a full bath, the vinyl is water and humidity proof.  A caulking gun with panel adhesive and some trim and you are good to go.

[Image: 56eda78e827f4edb519aa263c05632a4--cottag...hrooms.jpg]

[Image: vertical-and-horizontal-beadboard-backsp...x-tile.jpg]

[Image: 22228ada74e22923bf1b24c046b55741--vintag...hrooms.jpg]
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(08-11-2017, 01:27 PM)Wild Turkey Wrote: But the important point is LOML is happy!
Rolleyes

Love & cherish her.
Jim