Edge jointing
Good point. A proviso is you still need a relatively straight edge to run against your router table fence. If you have that by making a TS cut to make sure side A is straight, then just flip the board over and make side B straight as well, then you have a huge choice of cutters that will make a mating surface. You just need to practice with whichever cutter you get, to find out how best to get that match, there can be some variance. But if you do get the edge going that way, you can kill off one of the biggest problems of a panel glue up, which is under clamping pressure flat sided pieces do have a tendency to raise up, and sometimes this causes an uneven panel. Using a mated cutter is very similar to using biscuits, or dowels to glue up a panel.

Joe 1086 you are correct, and sometimes when you have limited tools buying pre-made parts, like table legs, drawers, and many other things make sense. Having it done can get it done, but if you are able to, well it's why I am into woodworking. I find there are always a number of ways to skin any cat, and sometimes finding out how to do it with what you have makes for a valuable lesson
Big Grin
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
A track saw makes straightening an edge on lumber a snap. Couldn't be easier.
Wood is good. 
No jointer, then a simple sled made for your table saw will do the job.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Edge gluing random boards 8 feet long? I hope he has a lot of clamps.
(08-26-2017, 07:53 AM)robert146 Wrote: Edge gluing random boards 8 feet long?  I hope he has a lot of clamps.

Actually, with properly straight edges, you only need to hold the boards together. Using clamps to force gaps closed is just adding stress to your top. 

With boards more than 4" wide, you only need a clamp every 8"
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
Handi, you're right. He will only need eight clamps. I re-read the original post: He has six boards that are eight feet long and five to eight inches wide. That will be quite a table; a minimum of 30 inches wide. I wonder what kind of table it will be? It will be a bummer to move around as he puts it together. I hope he has a helper. I've built picnic tables that size, but they don't need a glue-up.
(08-26-2017, 04:54 PM)robert146 Wrote:  I wonder what kind of table it will be?  It will be a bummer to move around as he puts it together.  I hope he has a helper.  I've built picnic tables that size, but they don't need a glue-up.

[Image: toltecrailtrip014.jpg]

it is not that difficult if you just get the edges to match. 

The reason I do not use my TS sled  is due to the fact that you can have a straight edge that has waves or even small parts that just do not quite come together correctly. I can always verify this as I run the edges over a jointer as the divots just from changing the pressure on the TS sled will announce themselves loud enough for me to hear.
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

(08-26-2017, 05:51 PM)JGrout Wrote: [Image: toltecrailtrip014.jpg]

it is not that difficult if you just get the edges to match. 

The reason I do not use my TS sled  is due to the fact that you can have a straight edge that has waves or even small parts that just do not quite come together correctly. I can always verify this as I run the edges over a jointer as the divots just from changing the pressure on the TS sled will announce themselves loud enough for me to hear.

Beautiful dining room table.

Am wondering though about the breadboard ends and movement given the differences in expansion and contraction?

Hope tis not an issue on this piece but have learned the hard way in the past and thus formed a religion based on knowledge of hygroscopicity and anisotropicity.
A laid back southeast Florida beach bum and volunteer bikini assessor.

Wink
I assume Joe allowed for the expansion so the breadboard shouldn't be a problem.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(08-27-2017, 11:37 AM)Stwood_ Wrote: I assume Joe allowed for the expansion so the breadboard shouldn't be a problem.

Plus I've seen him post that pic over several years, so it must also be standing the test of time, and annual changes in RH. I've never met Joe, but I still favor the opinion if that table had blown up, he wouldn't still be posting it's pic
Big Grin
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW