Outdoor furniture screws?
What's the best type of screws for outdoor furniture?  for things like Adirondack chairs

I've read posts that:
stainless is best
stainless are weak
deck screws
coated deck screws?

tia.. Dave
I would use stainless.....not quite as strong, but the benefits outweigh that.

Ed
Spax makes great stainless steel screws. I use them for everything outdoors and anywhere else that might be exposed to moisture. Stainless may be weaker than other steels commonly used in screws, but I've been using these for a long time and I've never broken one or had one fail. Here's a link FYI:

http://www.spax.us/en/stainless-steel-sc...cV2jkyZNmA
(09-22-2017, 03:48 PM)EdL Wrote: I would use stainless.....not quite as strong, but the benefits outweigh that.

Ed

Ditto. 

Used to us marine silicone bronze many years ago but now stainless steel.

https://www.mcfeelys.com/

Used to buy boxes of 10,000 at a pop when I had my shop.

Surprised they are now under new ownership. Guess McFeely successfully retired!

Great customer service also.

Was always amazed at what they carried, and great prices.

Smile
A laid back southeast Florida beach bum and volunteer bikini assessor.

Wink
I use stainless in all my outdoor furniture (adirondack chairs, lounge chairs) without a problem.
I like SS or Silicon Bronze for outdoor use with the SB for use over SS In treated wood. Brands I feel offer the best value are GRK and of course Spax
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
For cedar chairs I use coated deck screws. For my water ski chairs and snow ski chairs I like stainless

Unless you're using treated lumber coated deck screws will work fine. I also use the coated construction screws.  I have no problem with stainless but it is an unnecessary expense.
Screws and TBII glue won't fail you.  I have an sacrificial experimental Adirondack chair outside in the cold/hot/rainy/stormy weather for over 3 years now- no failing problems. Even the finish is fine.  A few small limbs have fallen on it.
 Just good old pine. Thinned rubbed on latex paint and 3 coats clear poly.

[Image: IMG_0493.jpg]
(09-23-2017, 01:18 PM)daddo Wrote: Unless you're using treated lumber coated deck screws will work fine. I also use the coated construction screws.  I have no problem with stainless but it is an unnecessary expense.
Screws and TBII glue won't fail you.  I have an sacrificial experimental Adirondack chair outside in the cold/hot/rainy/stormy weather for over 3 years now- no failing problems. Even the finish is fine.  A few small limbs have fallen on it.
 Just good old pine. Thinned rubbed on latex paint and 3 coats clear poly.

[Image: IMG_0493.jpg]

Down heah adirondeck chairs were always great to have sitting around the yard -- usually under a mango tree to relax and cool off when working outside in the heat.

I always built mine from air dried clear cypress and never ever put a finish on them.

The bare wood was the key to their comfort and to wick-off perspiration to keep one feeling relatively cool, and the wide arms a place to sit your cool drink.

This type of cypress usually lasted about 10 years in this type of construction.

Somethin us ole southin folks appreciated.

Big Grin
A laid back southeast Florida beach bum and volunteer bikini assessor.

Wink
thanks for all your replies!