festool mft table with guides
(09-25-2017, 01:22 PM)WaterlooMarc Wrote: I considering getting one of those myself for working in the garage or outside. While I love my MFT I do not consider it portable, although it is marketed to be that way. It weighs a bloody ton and it ackward to boot!

The kreg thing looks handy and as much as kreg has earned a bad name from Pinterest folks putting pocket holes in everything, they make good products imo.

Marc,
I think the Kreg is kinda heavy also - around 40-45 lbs if I remember correctly but that also helps to keep it in place and not be moving around a lot.

FYI - Woodwerks is having a big sale this Thursday thru Saturday.  You can get 10-15% off making it a reasonable price. Here's their website:

http://thisiswoodworking.com/

I wish they offered a 20 mm version so you could use some of the Festool sized bench dogs, etc.

Lonnie
I kind of want one of those MFT things. Looks like a nice way to do small work without taking up the space of a table saw. Except for the price, that is. For the cost of the folding table and the saw that goes with it, I could buy a small table saw and pay rent for a storage unit to keep it in for two years.
Oscar, it is moveable don’t get me wrong. But I wouldn’t want to move it regularly the way they market it to be.
-Marc

(09-20-2017, 11:28 AM)oscarMadison Wrote: those who actually own one do you like it?  The table with the two guides not just the basic.  Does Makita or anyone else have a good equivalent?

I have the original MFT1080, since superseded by the one pictured. I use it all the time, but not the fence arrangement, which--at least on the original MFT--is hard to keep square and frequently in the way. What I find super helpful instead are these Parf dogs from Lee Valley. Since the holes on the MFT are perfectly square in layout, you can use dogs to ensure your rail is square to the work, thus getting a perfectly square cut on even a wide piece of plywood. Or, you can get perfect angles (limited by hole spacing). These accessory clamps are very handy in combination with the MFT to hold work for sanding or routing. They're nutty expensive, and the best setup is to get two of them and join them together, but if you only get one bare table (no fence) you will find a zillion uses for it.
"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly!" Arthur 'Big Guy' Carlson
(09-27-2017, 04:35 PM)Johnbro Wrote: I have the original MFT1080, since superseded by the one pictured. I use it all the time, but not the fence arrangement, which--at least on the original MFT--is hard to keep square and frequently in the way. What I find super helpful instead are these Parf dogs from Lee Valley. Since the holes on the MFT are perfectly square in layout, you can use dogs to ensure your rail is square to the work, thus getting a perfectly square cut on even a wide piece of plywood. Or, you can get perfect angles (limited by hole spacing). These accessory clamps are very handy in combination with the MFT to hold work for sanding or routing. They're nutty expensive, and the best setup is to get two of them and join them together, but if you only get one bare table (no fence) you will find a zillion uses for it.

LEE Valley also sells the kit for making your own MFT bench. http://www.leevalley.com/us/Wood/page.as...at=1,41637 Dan
Festool's MFT is strictly for the weird sized accessories they use so they can keep you buying Festool. As "woodworkers" there isn't anything there you can't do yourself, and sizing to 3/4" holes, and 1/4 20 accessories you can make a much better table, either portable, or permanent for a boatload less $$$$$ than an MFT.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
(10-03-2017, 07:34 PM)Steve N Wrote: Festool's MFT is strictly for the weird sized accessories they use so they can keep you buying Festool. As "woodworkers" there isn't anything there you can't do yourself, and sizing to 3/4" holes, and 1/4 20 accessories you can make a much better table, either portable, or permanent for a boatload less $$$$$ than an MFT.

Sounds like you're quite a fan
Smile

It's true that Festool is a system approach. So, by the way, is your PC, Microsoft Windows, DeWalt cordless tools, Apple iOS (iPhone OS), 16" center construction, the Interstate Highway System, our electric grid, and several other things. 

Funny how popular such approaches are.
"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly!" Arthur 'Big Guy' Carlson
(10-03-2017, 07:34 PM)Steve N Wrote: Festool's MFT is strictly for the weird sized accessories they use so they can keep you buying Festool. As "woodworkers" there isn't anything there you can't do yourself, and sizing to 3/4" holes, and 1/4 20 accessories you can make a much better table, either portable, or permanent for a boatload less $$$$$ than an MFT.

Unless you add the price of your time and labor, in which case it's about half a boatload. 
Smile
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I bought one with all the accessories for $150. It's set up in the shop all the time.
Wish I had a second one.
VH07V  
(10-08-2017, 02:49 AM)EightFingers Wrote: I bought one with all the accessories for $150. It's set up in the shop all the time.
Wish I had a second one.

good to here. I admit one thing I don't like is the proprietary stuff and I'm disappointed at the idea of paying that much and then needing to buy the braces for the table. At the same time I've heard a lot of good and it sounds interesting.
mark
Ignorance is bliss -- I'm very, very happy