Ideal jointer size?
I'm with the group that says get the "biggest you can afford and/or fit in your shop." I have an 8 inch" Shop Fox with a Byrd head that meets all my needs thus far.

Just to make everyone drool (including me), I have a friend who was looking for a large jointer to use in his retirement shop. I found one for him on Ebay - a 24" Northfield "aircraft carrier" that had been completely restored, for a song, relatively speaking. He bought it and had it shipped out here from Michigan.

Several months later it was sitting in his millwork shop (he was the owner) when a freak dust collector fire destroyed the place. Didn't burn down but heat and smoke damage totaled it. Fortunately the jointer sustained only superficial damage. He had already ordered and received a Byrd head for it. Due to the generosity of his insurance company, he will not reopen the shop.

He sent the jointer to Northfield and they are going to completely restore it to "good as new" and install and balance the Byrd head. He is going to build his personal dream shop next year and the jointer will reside there. When this happens I'll post some photos.

Doug
I have the Jet JJP-12 and it does what I bought it to do - make flat square stock. The beds are 55" and one rule of thumb I've read is that you can face joint 1.5 - 2 times the length of the beds so maximum length would be around 8' though I'm happier with 6' or less. When I first got the machine I was flattening a bowed poplar board about 7' long with the help of roller stands. By the time I got it flat the ends were less than 3/8" thick
Blush . Lesson learned, I skip plane rough stock to get an idea what it looks like then cut it a little over length and face joint it. Fewer passes, less work and less waste.
(12-05-2017, 11:37 PM)Tapper Wrote: I'm with the group that says get the "biggest you can afford and/or fit in your shop." I have an 8 inch" Shop Fox with a Byrd head that meets all my needs thus far.

Just to make everyone drool (including me), I have a friend who was looking for a large jointer to use in his retirement shop. I found one for him on Ebay - a 24" Northfield "aircraft carrier" that had been completely restored, for a song, relatively speaking. He bought it and had it shipped out here from Michigan.

Several months later it was sitting in his millwork shop (he was the owner) when a freak dust collector fire destroyed the place. Didn't burn down but heat and smoke damage totaled it. Fortunately the jointer sustained only superficial damage. He had already ordered and received a Byrd head for it. Due to the generosity of his insurance company, he will not reopen the shop.

He sent the jointer to Northfield and they are going to completely restore it to "good as new" and install and balance the Byrd head. He is going to build his personal dream shop next year and the jointer will reside there. When this happens I'll post some photos.

Doug

Wow, that's terrible! At least the machine made it through, though. Was it just a jointer or a combo machine? I already posted this earlier, but a custom furniture builder called "Doucette and Wolf" has a 25" combo machine. They do the vast majority of their work with hand tools other than rough shaped cuts (bandsaw), turnings (lathe), and a lot of the basic surfacing (jointer/planer combo). The planer setting, IIRC, actually does 24" instead of 25".

Near future projects:

-Curly Maple display case
-Jatoba and Quilted Maple dresser
Kölle was just one out of many old time makers of big combinations.
By the way Stenner made a combination that had a 26 inch cutterhead with 25 inch planing and jointing capacity.

This is my 24" Stenberg combination. Manufactured in 1957 by Ljusfallshammars Gjuteri for Stenbergs Maskinbyrå in Stockholm.

Part timer living on the western coast of Finland. Not a native speaker of English
(12-06-2017, 04:13 PM)TGW Wrote: Kölle was just one out of many old time makers of big combinations.
By the way Stenner made a combination that had a 26 inch cutterhead with 25 inch planing and jointing capacity.

This is my 24" Stenberg combination. Manufactured in 1957 by Ljusfallshammars Gjuteri for Stenbergs Maskinbyrå in Stockholm.

WHOA! Got any videos of you jointing some wide stock on that guy? Standard cutterhead, right?
Near future projects:

(12-05-2017, 10:24 PM)KingwoodFan1989 Wrote: This might be a dumb question, but what does "VA" mean? I'm kinda behind on certain things, haha.

Veterans Administration
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(12-06-2017, 01:46 PM)KingwoodFan1989 Wrote: Wow, that's terrible! At least the machine made it through, though. Was it just a jointer or a combo machine? I already posted this earlier, but a custom furniture builder called "Doucette and Wolf" has a 25" combo machine. They do the vast majority of their work with hand tools other than rough shaped cuts (bandsaw), turnings (lathe), and a lot of the basic surfacing (jointer/planer combo). The planer setting, IIRC, actually does 24" instead of 25".

His is just a jointer - a beautiful piece of machinery with the large "captain's" wheel with wooden spokes!

Doug
(12-06-2017, 11:55 PM)Tapper Wrote: His is just a jointer - a beautiful piece of machinery with the large "captain's" wheel with wooden spokes!

Doug

Lol I saw one the other day that had one of those big wheels. Perfectly fitting considering these big jointers look like carrier ships! 
Laugh
Near future projects:

I can't tell for sure on the Stenberg but the Koelle's tables are planed, not ground.  The little 16" Zefam my friend bought last year has planed tables and they are super, super slippery and dead flat.  If you want to be impressed look up the machines they use to plane metal. 

John
(12-07-2017, 08:47 AM)jteneyck Wrote: I can't tell for sure on the Stenberg but the Koelle's tables are planed, not ground.  The little 16" Zefam my friend bought last year has planed tables and they are super, super slippery and dead flat.  If you want to be impressed look up the machines they use to plane metal. 

John

Mine has planed jointer tables.
The thicknesser table was also planed originally but previous owners had planed so much wood on it that the wood had worn a dip in the cast iron.
I don't have a metal planer  so I had the thicknesser table blanchard ground by a local machinist.
The cutterhead is a rather thick two knife gibbed head. I can barely lift it on my own.

I have a small metal shaper that can plane 35x52 cm. That is approximately 14 by 20 inches. Not big enough to plane an entire jointer table but certainly big enough for making some spare parts....... once I get it rebuilt...........

I have no equipment for making videos......... My money is spent on good machinery instead.
Part timer living on the western coast of Finland. Not a native speaker of English