1/2 round Cherry side table
Thanks J-W-P.

I bridged the form from the table saw to the work bench. I laid an old flannel bed sheet over it hanging over the edges & covered it with worn out jeans & sweatshirts. I had an oil filled radiator style heater under it set on 74*. Left it like this for 24hrs. It had to be nearly 80* under all that the next evening. It's now unclamped with a spacer across the back opening & a band clamp around it because I didn't have time to do anything else with it yesterday evening. Hope to get back to it this afternoon. Springback at that point was 1/4" to the original 24" I was looking for. It's been in a small heated room since coming out of the form.

[Image: 20180213_085327_zpsaehpehiu.jpg]

This afternoon might be good. Calling for rain most of it. More to come!!
I finally got back to it yesterday. After allowing the piece to set with the clamp on it to ensure it's shape I finally unclamped it yesterday again. I also trimmed the ends to square & got the center leg cut & attached. 2 legs to go. Once I'm happy with the base I will mill the boards for the top & do a glue up for that.

Cool
There is no such thing as too much horsepower, free lunch or spare change ~ anonymous

87% of people say their mental health is good to excellent. The rest are sane enough to know they are lying. ~ anonymous
OK. I have the base all glued up. The top needs some edge jointing & it's ready to glue up.

Once the glue was cleaned up & the edges were milled smooth on the apron I found a couple voids that were on the bottom. Nothing serious maybe? As usual,, all thoughts & opinions are Welcome!!

Longest & 1/32" gap.
[Image: 20180217_170118_zpsgqwvpedc.jpg]

Most disturbing since it's on the face veneer.
[Image: 20180217_170101_zpseuxiw24m.jpg]

All but 3 spots look like this.
[Image: 20180217_165947_zpszl6ebxab.jpg]

A bunch of sanding. LOL
[Image: 20180217_171923_zpswgwffapv.jpg]

BTW-- I do have a theory on springback if anybody is interested.
(02-18-2018, 08:26 AM)GlenS Wrote: BTW-- I do have a theory on springback if anybody is interested.

Springback blows?
There is no such thing as too much horsepower, free lunch or spare change ~ anonymous

87% of people say their mental health is good to excellent. The rest are sane enough to know they are lying. ~ anonymous
(02-18-2018, 08:26 AM)GlenS Wrote: OK. I have the base all glued up. The top needs some edge jointing & it's ready to glue up.

Once the glue was cleaned up & the edges were milled smooth on the apron I found a couple voids that were on the bottom. Nothing serious maybe? As usual,, all thoughts & opinions are Welcome!!

Longest & 1/32" gap.
[Image: 20180217_170118_zpsgqwvpedc.jpg]

Most disturbing since it's on the face veneer.

All but 3 spots look like this.

A bunch of sanding. LOL

BTW-- I do have a theory on springback if anybody is interested.

Lookin good. I've had worse, when the glue was setting too fast and not enough hands or enough clamps in the right/wrong places.

I normally blow the dust out of those holes, and fill with your same glue.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Redman-- im sure it does. This is my 1st bent glueup and altho i reported 1/4" springback i quickly realized i wouldnt get back to this project for a day. Turns out it was a couple days. In realizing this i cut a board to the length across the back of the form with 4° angles to fit the curve. I wrapped a band clamp around it & put a bar clamp on. Then let it set til i got back to it. No springback when i removed the clamps this time. I wonder if glued bent lams need more like 72hrs on the form. I used just under 1/2 bottle of TB Ext glue on this thing. To me thats a LOT of glue.

Any thoughts ideas or speculations?
Stwood. Thanks for the tip!! Ill have to do that!!
Quick pic of the top. I'm impressed with this horse stall Cherry.

[Image: 20180219_194930_zpshjgsfg2b.jpg]

Top still needs routed & it's still too deep in this pic. I trimmed it back to juuust in front of that small knot. Just couldn't resist setting it on the base for a quick table selfie. lol
[Image: 20180219_195552_zpsmzfrpqty.jpg]
(02-21-2018, 07:25 AM)GlenS Wrote: Quick pic of the top. I'm impressed with this horse stall Cherry.

Top still needs routed & it's still too deep in this pic. I trimmed it back to juuust in front of that small knot. Just couldn't resist setting it on the base for a quick table selfie. lol

Cool
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020