Custom "square"
Hello all,

I'm not sure where to post this question but would anyone know of a place to order a machinist square in a custom angle?

I really like these types of squares.

However I'd like one made at 50*

Would anyone know of a place to order something like that?
Peter

My "day job"
Two options to avoid paying a boatload to a machine shop:

Starret protractor.

Possibly a plastic square, not sure what they are called.  But extremely accurate if you could find one in 50 degrees.
A carpenter's house is never done.
(02-24-2018, 12:37 AM)Peter Tremblay Wrote: Hello all,

I'm not sure where to post this question but would anyone know of a place to order a machinist square in a custom angle?

I have made two custom squares , 24° and  18°. These were for a cabinet maker that specialized in coopered tops for chests etc.  He uses these to check the angle of saw cuts on the staves . 
I have metal working machines so this was not a difficult job. I machined dead flat a bar of steel 3/4" x 1-1/8" x 3" long. Then sawed a 1/16" slot for the blade 1" deep. I used  a sine bar to get exact angle. Pre drilled four 3/16" holes in the steel bar. After aligning the blade for angle I epoxied the blade to the bar. Next day I bored thru the existing predrilled holes with an undersized drill, about .180. Then reamed to .186 which is .001 under the brass rod I use to form a rivet. I turn a small  chamfer on each rivet 1" long and drive it home. The rivet is milled flush on each side.
I think you could do something similar. Instead of steel bar ,use hardwood . Band saw a kerf , predrill for rivets and epoxy the blade to 50° angle . I used 1/16 x 1" tool steel for the blade as it is straight and flat.
Mc Master Carr is one supplier ,there are many.
mike
Thanks, Mike!

That's a great suggestion
Peter

My "day job"
(02-24-2018, 12:37 AM)Peter Tremblay Wrote: Hello all,

This may be accurate enough for you if you don't want to make one yourself...

https://www.amazon.com/Fowler-52-440-612...protractor
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(02-25-2018, 09:40 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
This may be accurate enough for you if you don't want to make one yourself...

https://www.amazon.com/Fowler-52-440-612...protractor

Big eek

Wow, That's not cheap
Peter

My "day job"
(02-25-2018, 10:41 PM)Peter Tremblay Wrote:
Big eek

Wow, That's not cheap

Actually, if you have an orphan protractor head for a combination square, that would be a more flexible option, just set it and forget it.  You can get a "blem" PEC head for $25 from Epstein, and they are pretty good, more than good enough for woodworking, and your 12" rule from your combination square will fit, or you can buy another one for $10. PEC makes good stuff and these blems are a bargain. Link:

https://www.harryepstein.com/index.php/c...12-up.html

https://www.harryepstein.com/index.php/1...r-usa.html
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Big eek

Wow, That's not cheap

How much do you think a custom machined square will cost you?  I figured North of $100.
A carpenter's house is never done.
Harbor Fright: Multi-square $6. Combination square set $8. Set it to the angle you want forever, then drill and pin so it stays that angle.

My boss is a Jewish carpenter. Our DADDY owns the business.
Trying to understand some people is like trying to pick up the clean end of a turd.
Big eek

Wow, That's not cheap
It's not bad as far as precision protractors go, and cheaper than a "custom" made square of comparable accuracy from a machine shop...It just depends on how accurate the angle has to be. Rich is correct about the combo protractor.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset