Will DC blower work fine sideways?

I want to modify the dust collector I just bought, to save room and to make fewer bends in the system with a limited amount of space. I 'really' like what I got, but it takes up more room that I imagined. If I can do something about it, I might as well go ahead now before it's all hooked up. At the moment the motor and the intake vent lay horizontal of each other. I would like to modify it where the the intake points downward and the motor upwards (sideways?). Like many units that already come that way. The first photo is what I have and the second is how I would like to modify or mount it. I wanted to make sure it wasn't a different bearing system that would wear because of the change in angle? Or if they were even made diffidently at all? I'm hoping to make it into more of a stacked system (blower above the separator) and change the bag filter locations to fit the designated area. Thanks for your time, have a great day.
(03-03-2018, 01:14 AM)SpiderDave Wrote: I want to modify the dust collector I just bought, to save room and to make fewer bends in the system with a limited amount of space. I 'really' like what I got, but it takes up more room that I imagined. If I can do something about it, I might as well go ahead now before it's all hooked up. At the moment the motor and the intake vent lay horizontal of each other. I would like to modify it where the the intake points downward and the motor upwards (sideways?). Like many units that already come that way. The first photo is what I have and the second is how I would like to modify or mount it. I wanted to make sure it wasn't a different bearing system that would wear because of the change in angle? Or if they were even made diffidently at all? I'm hoping to make it into more of a stacked system (blower above the separator) and change the bag filter locations to fit the designated area. Thanks for your time, have a great day.

There should be zero problem with this.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
I did it with my HF dust collector when I added a garbage can and Thien baffle ahead of the blower.
(03-03-2018, 08:48 AM)Lucky Irish Wrote: I did it with my HF dust collector when I added a garbage can and Thien baffle ahead of the blower.

Same here, but with the cyclone I built.  The ball bearings in the motor are capable of some axial load, and should be just fine.

https://www.forums.woodnet.net/showthrea...id=7337760  Photo halfway down the page.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
I turned my Grizzly 2 HP unit on its side more than a year ago.  It's been fine.

John
you may want to find out what type of bearings the motor has. i cant recall what the load is- radial or axial- but the bearings may or may not be designed to support the load
(03-03-2018, 11:06 AM)tomsteve Wrote: you may want to find out what type of bearings the motor has. i cant recall what the load is- radial or axial- but the bearings may or may not be designed to support the load

Hmmm,.. after your reply I looked on the parts list. The motor was listed as a whole part (mostly), no bearing shown unfortunately. I emailed both distributor and the maker. Its only been a couple of days, not holding my breathe on that one. There's a decent chance they may not care to answer. Can't say I blame them if they don't. Typically they'll probably tell me it wasn't intended for that use and they would recommend me buying one that was instead as such. Which would be a good answer. (Rather than risking being misunderstood as condoning me modifying their product.) I did carefully asked them if it would effect the blower's performance or wear to the bearing to operate at that angle - hoping that would increase my chance of getting an answer back - leaving details out. Now, I wished I had came from the approach of asking them about a replacement bearing and what type it was, and go from there. I used to know a fantastic electrical motor rebuild/restore/repair guy in town that did some work for me. Unfortunately he passed away or I would give him a call. Can't find any other's in the Yellow Pages. Nothing on the internet about it, that I can find so far - still looking. It's gona be a head scratcher until I find something conclusive. The bearing is a great place to zero in on, thank you for giving me something to think about and to target. That helps.

Woops! Sorry guys! Thank you for the replies. I came straight from my email link and didn't even see that there were replies before tomsteve's. Duh. I'm leaving what I wrote anyway. But wanted to add that I'm glad to see it's been done without problems for people. I'm a little nervous doing it if I'm not absolutely sure. A little on the fence to take a chance after what I went through to get it. But then again. almost desperate enough to risk it because of the benefits. Probably be fine,...Decisions.....
Deep groove ball bearings, the kind most commonly used in a typical induction motor, will have an axial static load rating of about 1/2 that of the radial load rating, or maybe less, but not less than about 1/4.  So a 20mm bore bearing with a 5000 newton (1100 lb) radial static load rating would be able to handle no less than 225 lb, and with the shaft vertical, the radial load will be small (it's additive through trig).  

The static load rating is just a maximum, and bearing life is calculated on the dynamic load rating, but in the case of deep groove ball bearings, it's likely higher.  B10 life calcs reduce it from there, of course, based on speed and load and impact and other parameters.  

I wouldn't lose sleep over it.  And if the bearings wore out, they're replaceable.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(03-03-2018, 03:44 PM)JTDKPE Wrote: Deep groove ball bearings, the kind most commonly used in a typical induction motor, will have an axial static load rating of about 1/2 that of the radial load rating, or maybe less, but not less than about 1/4.  So a 20mm bore bearing with a 5000 newton (1100 lb) radial static load rating would be able to handle no less than 225 lb, and with the shaft vertical, the radial load will be small (it's additive through trig).  

The static load rating is just a maximum, and bearing life is calculated on the dynamic load rating, but in the case of deep groove ball bearings, it's likely higher.  B10 life calcs reduce it from there, of course, based on speed and load and impact and other parameters.  

I wouldn't lose sleep over it.  And if the bearings wore out, they're replaceable.

Goodness, I adore Tom’s scientifically based responses. It’s a privilege to have him among us.

In any case, I see this regularly posted about here and throughtout the web. I wouldnt hesitate.
[Image: dustcollector_13.jpg]
(03-04-2018, 12:57 PM)Cian Wrote: Goodness, I adore Tom’s scientifically based responses.  It’s a privilege to have him among us.

10-4 0n that!!
Yes
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020