Outdoor furniture prep?
One set of chairs have been in the back yard for 2 years (Southern California) and no appreciable wear. I did clean them, and found that easy with the paint surface.
Where I live, we get fairly hot and direct sun in the summer (95 - 100 degrees) and in winter our nights get down into the low - mid 30’s with frost and such. The paint has held up well and I really like it. Very easy to clean so far. We will see how they hold up in another couple years, but so far so good.

I have another pair in partial shade on a patio from under 2 years ago and they look almost the same as the day we put them there.
(03-02-2018, 09:08 AM)jcredding Wrote: I have another pair in partial shade on a patio from under 2 years ago and they look almost the same as the day we put them there.

Was it the Sherwin Williams SW A100 you used or another product?
A carpenter's house is never done.
unrelated to finishing..
For those of you that suggested templates..

which pieces did you do templates for? I have already done ones for the legs, arms, and the arm support, and I'll do one for the back supports: upper and lower

did you do one for the back slats too? any others?
(03-02-2018, 11:28 AM)DaveBozeman Wrote: unrelated to finishing..
For those of you that suggested templates..

which pieces did you do templates for?  I have already done ones for the legs, arms, and the arm support, and I'll do one for the back supports: upper and lower

did you do one for the back slats too?  any others?

Make a template of any part you don't want to have to recreate from scratch again, so all of them.  You just need to make one of each leg, arm, or anything that has a mirror image.  My chair came from a Rockler kit.  It had cardboard templates.  I used the cardboard ones to make ones out of a sheet of rigid plastic I got a good deal on a sheet of because it was too ugly to use to make signs out of.

You can use the template to trace the shapes of the parts, make a rough cut then use the template to route the chair pieces to exact dimensions.
I would make them out of composite decking no finish needed.
(03-03-2018, 06:42 PM)fall Wrote: I would make them out of composite decking no finish needed.

I considered that and researched it when building mine. 

Composite decking is not as structurally sound.  
It is not easy to find 2x dimensional composite materials, most are nominally 1x.
If you are going to make furniture out of composite you need to come up with a design that compensates for this.
I ordered my Cedar last week, it comes in Monday, they suggested Messmer's UV Plus. Any thoughts good or bad?
It wasn’t the Sherwin Williams. I forget what it is (not near the shop), but picked it up at Lowes. If you want to know just PM me and I’ll track it down when I get back home on Wednesday.
(03-03-2018, 08:53 PM)jcredding Wrote: It wasn’t the Sherwin Williams.  I forget what it is (not near the shop), but picked it up at Lowes.  If you want to know just PM me and I’ll track it down when I get back home on Wednesday.

Thanks, I'm good without it.  I was just interested in your positive results.  I built my chair in Socal.  Northern SD county about 2 miles from the beach.  3 coats with sanding between.  The chair was under a pergola but started showing aging in under 6 months.  Everyone was touting untinted Sherwin Williams paint, but I went with General Finishes 450.

Since Sherwin Williams is 5 minutes from my home but Lowes is 2 hours, SW will be my first choice when it is time to repair this chair.