Bar Clamps - Wide Throat - Options?
If you really need them then get them or make them. I suggest that they will do anything a smaller mouth clamp will do and you don't need to buy the smaller mouth clamp. Think about it.
There is no such thing as too much horsepower, free lunch or spare change ~ anonymous

87% of people say their mental health is good to excellent. The rest are sane enough to know they are lying. ~ anonymous
(03-27-2018, 04:43 PM)stav Wrote: Would something like this work for you?

[Image: 86320d2d1d5d88c1a38af9b0a8f07f3c.jpg]

I've thought about 'add-ons' to my existing clamps - maybe some further thought would help - thanks.  Dave
Smile
Piedmont North Carolina
(03-27-2018, 06:32 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: What's a LOT?
Raised    You got a head count?
Winkgrin

Have you considered the Visegrip pliers?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/9-3-4-L-Deep-Re...SwdnZaBgKA

I have some of these and they are handy.

I own about 60 or so clamps, most are Bessey types, plus many more spring clamps and similar devices - maybe not a LOT to others but plenty for me - not sure the 'vise grip' is what I'm looking for vs. the ones already described.  Thanks - Dave
Smile
Piedmont North Carolina
(03-27-2018, 06:47 PM)DaveR1 Wrote: It isn't difficult to make your own deep throat clamps. When I was building the cradle boat for my son, I needed a bunch of clamps with deep throats. I made a dozen one Saturday morning and put them to use after lunch. For that need, any commercially available clamps with a deep enough throat would have been too heavy anyway. Mine weighed a whole lot less. I've used them more than I thought I would over the years since I made them, too.

Thanks Dave - pics would greatly help illustrate your concept - if thin and flat, then not really what I want - just saying?  Dave
Smile
Piedmont North Carolina
(03-27-2018, 07:52 PM)DaveR1 Wrote: My clamps are thin and flat but they aren't bar clamps. Then won't clamp a real thick thing. Do you need the thickness, too? Maybe my clamps aren't what you need but still, clamps aren't difficult to make.

Hi again Dave - mainly want some higher depth to get over clamps that are arranged in the opposite direction - so, low flat clamps are not what I'm interested in obtaining, sorry. but thanks for your input.   Dave
Smile
Piedmont North Carolina
(03-27-2018, 11:08 AM)giradman Wrote: Now, I own a LOT of clamps (many are Bessy) but recently have done several projects where several 'Wide Throat' (or 'Deep Reach') clamps would have been useful but had none!  So, looked at Bessy on Amazon (first pic below) - WOW - $42 per clamp (and I usually like to have 4 just in case) - not willing to invest $160 for a 'deep reach' clamp that would likely be used rarely?  Also, have the Woodsmith plan (2nd pic) to build the wooden/bolt clamps shown - cheaper way out and look effective but do I want to put in the effort?

So, would appreciate any comments about the need to 'deep reach' clamps, e.g. often, rarely, or in the middle?  And, are there less expensive commercial options - really like the Bessy ones I own but could use the $$ elsewhere - 
Yes    Thanks - Dave

Found these at our friendly low cost center.

Doug
Menards has a 4.75" reach clamp for $11.99 for 24"
https://www.menards.com/main/tools-hardw...378&ipos=2
I do own a few of that medium 7" Bessey - it is really HD and nice.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

(03-27-2018, 11:25 PM)Tapper Wrote: Found these at our friendly low cost center.

Doug

Hi Doug - thanks for the link - I was there a few days ago - my preference is for a deep F-bar clamp and not a C- or U-clamp - the latter does not offer the option of spanning a foot or two above some lower lying clamps.  Dave
Smile
Piedmont North Carolina
Giradman, what are you trying to clamp? If it's a panel, make some bow cauls. I made several out of 7/8"X2"X 24" hard maple. I hand-planed a slight, fair curve on one edge - about 1/16" to 3/32" at each end. They are great for panel glue-ups; just bridge the panel joint with two cauls, one on top and one underneath, curved side in contact with the panel, and clamp them together at each end with any stout clamp. The curve transfers the pressure to the centre of the caul - preferably over the joint to pull it down flat. Easy. I put packaging tape on the curved edge to keep glue from sticking.

I have four of the big Bessy deep throat clamps you pictured. I use them a lot. Yes, they are expensive, but if you buy them in singles or twos over time, you can gather a useable collection without killing your bank account. I first bought two I needed for a project. Then a couple of months later I bought a third - just because I thought it would be a good idea. Then several weeks ago, I needed four, so I bought a fourth. I think four is probably all I'm ever going to need; but if I need more, at least I won't have to bite a big bullet to add to my collection.
(03-28-2018, 01:04 PM)Hank Knight Wrote: Giradman, what are you trying to clamp? If it's a panel, make some bow cauls. I made several out of 7/8"X2"X 24" hard maple. I hand-planed a slight, fair curve on one edge - about 1/16" to 3/32" at each end. They are great for panel glue-ups; just bridge the panel joint with two cauls, one on top and one underneath, curved side in contact with the panel, and clamp them together at each end with any stout clamp. The curve transfers the pressure to the centre of the caul - preferably over the joint to pull it down flat. Easy. I put packaging tape on the curved edge to keep glue from sticking.

I have four of the big Bessy deep throat clamps you pictured. I use them a lot. Yes, they are expensive, but if you buy them in singles or twos over time, you can gather a useable collection without killing your bank account. I first bought two I needed for a project. Then a couple of months later I bought a third - just because I thought it would be a good idea. Then several weeks ago, I needed four, so I bought a fourth. I think four is probably all I'm ever going to need; but if I need more, at least I won't have to bite a big bullet to add to my collection.

Thanks Hank - as I mentioned before, already own a pair of 3' cauls (from Lee Valley - shown below, middle ones) which I do use to flatten glue-up panels, so no need for more - have plans to make my own but have not found the need beyond the two that I already own.

As to the 'deep throat' clamps, I was doing a project earlier this year where some greater depth from the edge (beyond the usually 3" or so of my current clamps) would have helped; also, sometimes crossing clamps of the same height or so is cumbersome and clamps w/ more clearance would be helpful.  Now I usually get along fine w/ the clamps that I have currently but likely on rare occasions would like the 'deep throat' ones - not really a matter of budget for me but whether the $$ could be invested elsewhere more usefully in my workshop, just saying. Dave
Smile

Attached Files Image(s)

Piedmont North Carolina