Seeking advice on buying first lathe
I appreciate the feedback. I’ve checked Craigslist and Facebook for used lathes. Nothing. Honestly, I’m not really fond of used tools anyway.

I’m not in a giant hurry. I’ll keep looking around.

Grizzly is a 5 hour drive from me. Plus they are sold out lol
"We have a clear winner here...stevensondrive. Congratulations!"
Richard D.
(04-05-2018, 12:44 PM)stevensondrive Wrote: I appreciate the feedback. I’ve checked Craigslist and Facebook for used lathes. Nothing. Honestly, I’m not really fond of used tools anyway.

I’m not in a giant hurry. I’ll keep looking around.

Grizzly is a 5 hour drive from me. Plus they are sold out lol
If you can determine how large a diameter you wish to turn, and how fast you want to cut it, you can know what size motor you will need. One thing you have control of no matter the power, is how much wood do you want to remove in one pass...The first lathe I ever owned has a 1/3hp motor that turns at 1725rpm...I have had it at least 50 years...Small diameters turn at high speed...larger diameters turn at slower speeds, and I vary the depth of cut to suit the power I have..Variable speed is fine, but not really necessary as long as you can change the drive ratio to accommodate the work. At present I have 8 lathes {way too many}, but only two with electronic variable speeds.
Crazy  
Big Grin
Good luck with your decision..You can do small work on a big lathe but you can't do big work on a small lathe...
Crazy
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Full disclosure, I have done a number of videos for Teknatool, had their DVR 2024 for about 6 years, and now have both their Galaxi DVR and the Comet II. 

I like the Comet II a great deal. It can turn bowls up to 12” in diameter, and 16-1/2” between centers and you can add a bed extension.

It has a three position belt drive with electronic speed control to drive the motor. It has reverse too.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
No advice, just do it!!!!
10 years ago when I started I got the Jet 1220VS. It was big enough and had a large enough motor to turn midsize stuff. I learned a lot with it and loved it. 2 years ago I upgraded to a Robust AB. I kept the Jet for a while because it seemed silly to fire up a 3hp lathe to turn a pen. LOML got on me for having 2 lathes, so I ended up selling it and regret doing it. I miss the little one.

Everyone is different, with different budgets, needs, space, etc. You can't go wrong going with Jet or Nova (don't know anything about Grizzly). Good luck and have fun.
"73 is the best number because it's the 21st prime number, and it's mirror 37 is the 12th prime number, whose mirror 21 is the product of 7 times 3. Also in binary 73 is 1001001, which is a palindrome." - Nobel Laureate, Dr. Sheldon Cooper
+1000 for a local turning club, for mentoring, teaching, recommendations on equipment, etc. I would have been lost for a long time if I had not joined one.  You can learn so much regarding what else you need, what to buy, and what NOT to buy.

Ed
Ed
(04-04-2018, 08:47 AM)stevensondrive Wrote: Greetings
I am in the market for a lathe a thought I’d check here for advice. Purpose is pens and bowls. And other things that may come along.

Online reviews point towards the Jet 1221 vs as a great starter. I’ll need to get tools and probably a chuck too. Heck not sure lol

Hate the new website layout btw ?

I started with a Delta midi lathe 12" x about 16" after I stopped getting catches and was able to turn a little the search was on for a larger lathe.
I then got a Nova DVR 3000  electronic variable speed  the newer XP DVR was out and this one went on sale I drove 4 hours to get the last one in the Midwest area.
I've used the hell out of it and it hasn't skipped a beat. I've added an outboard rest and turned some much larger platters and bowls. I've been able to aquire some really large blanks that I was a bit fearful were to heavy for the lathe but it handled them beautifully . I would really like the 2024 like the one Ralph uses but they don't make it anymore so I'm going to continue with the one I have as it's met every blank and spun it into a great looking bowl.
Tim
Hey, just go for it! Bond out your eldEst until he is 21 and get a ONEWAY 24-36.

GM
The only tool I have is a lathe.  Everything else is an accessory.
(04-04-2018, 09:01 AM)Bill Holt Wrote: Go big with EVS.  I realize some turners have more than one lathe, but I do not have the space.  I have a used Jet 1442 because the deal was too good to pass.  Wish I could afford to upgrade to electronic variable speed.

(04-04-2018, 09:31 AM)AHill Wrote: One rule on lathes is you can turn small stuff on a big lathe, but you can't turn big stuff on a small lathe.  If you think you are going to enjoy turning and stick with it, buy the largest lathe you can afford.  

Listen to these guys.  Go as big as you can.
Keep in mind that "This is the last lathe I'll ever buy" is the epitome of self-delusion.

GM
The only tool I have is a lathe.  Everything else is an accessory.