Air Flitration recommendations
I'm requesting an air filtration rec for a 24x24x7' basement. I dont have any dust collection system at all and dont want to invest in one. I'm just looking for one of those filtered units that can hang from the ceiling that can handle all the dust that settles on everything else I have in the basement.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LPD9BDI/?co..._lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M0YFZ9H/?co..._lig_dp_it

Both the same thing along with the same as the grizzly and others. They just slap a different color and stickers on them. Personally I would do two small ones like this vs one bigger one.
Put Velcro on a box fan and on a furnace filter.   Put the filter on the intake side.  

You can get box fans for less than $20.00.  A fiberglass filter will cost $3.00.  Hang it from a joist.  Put it on a timer to keep running for an hour after you are done to keep the dust down.

The oil delivery company I use includes service (for a fee).  The service company said that they would not renew unless I added dust collection.  I don't know if it affects other mechanicals.   My furnace uses older mechanical switches.  I imagine the newer ones use solid state switches and that might be unaffected by the dust.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(04-15-2018, 10:37 PM)JKimel Wrote: I'm requesting an air filtration rec for a 24x24x7' basement.  I dont have any dust collection system at all and dont want to invest in one. I'm just looking for one of those filtered units that can hang from the ceiling that can handle all the dust that settles on everything else I have in the basement.

This is backwards thinking.  No air filter is going to capture all the dust created from your machines.  Worse, unless it has a HEPA filter all it's going to do is keep recirculating the really fine dust around so your lungs can filter it out.  From a health and safety perspective DC wins every time, and preferably as close as possible to the source that it's generated.

John
My dust collector is very good on my table saw.  Not so good on the radial arm saw or my chop saw.  The Festool saw hooked up to my DC, is very clean.

If you have a contractors saw (like I do) you have to enclose the space beneath the blade, but the back of the saw will have to remain open to some extent as the motor is back there and it has to be able to tilt.   If you have enough CFM's it is not too much of a problem.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(04-15-2018, 10:37 PM)JKimel Wrote: I'm requesting an air filtration rec for a 24x24x7' basement.  I dont have any dust collection system at all and dont want to invest in one. I'm just looking for one of those filtered units that can hang from the ceiling that can handle all the dust that settles on everything else I have in the basement.

Here is a terrific read concerning wood shop dust: http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone...orders.cfm

Bill Pentz knows his stuff!
Get one of those and hang from the ceiling. Get a dust deputy for
your shop vac to use at the tool.  ( My current set up)  Some day
I will get a cyclone and dedicated dust collection at each tool. But
for now, it is working surprisingly well.  
Oh, and also wear a dust mask. All three make a HUGE difference.

Yes
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
(04-16-2018, 09:40 AM)jteneyck Wrote: This is backwards thinking.  No air filter is going to capture all the dust created from your machines.  Worse, unless it has a HEPA filter all it's going to do is keep recirculating the really fine dust around so your lungs can filter it out.  From a health and safety perspective DC wins every time, and preferably as close as possible to the source that it's generated.

John

I'm going to have to disagree here, as the adage that perfect is the enemy of good applies.

If the O/P doesn't want to invest in a DC system but wants to use the filter to help prevent the dust settling on everything, then I say go for it, as his lungs will breathe cleaner air as a result, too.

The notion that air cleaners simply keep dirty air circulating is wrong-minded.  The air cleaner is breathing and cleaning that air to the tune of hundreds of cubic feet per minute.  The particle counters I use indicate the air cleaners I've tested work a pretty amazing trick.

We need to start separating fact from fiction again, there are a lot of outfits continuing to use scare tactics to get people to purchase large DC systems.

If we learned ANYTHING from the particle counter group buys, it was that about 75% of what DC manufacturers are espousing is pure nonsense.
(04-17-2018, 11:36 AM)Phil Thien Wrote: I'm going to have to disagree here, as the adage that perfect is the enemy of good applies.

If the O/P doesn't want to invest in a DC system but wants to use the filter to help prevent the dust settling on everything, then I say go for it, as his lungs will breathe cleaner air as a result, too.

The notion that air cleaners simply keep dirty air circulating is wrong-minded.  The air cleaner is breathing and cleaning that air to the tune of hundreds of cubic feet per minute.  The particle counters I use indicate the air cleaners I've tested work a pretty amazing trick.

We need to start separating fact from fiction again, there are a lot of outfits continuing to use scare tactics to get people to purchase large DC systems.

If we learned ANYTHING from the particle counter group buys, it was that about 75% of what DC manufacturers are espousing is pure nonsense.

Disagree all you like.  An air filter gathers no particle that can't float in the air and only captures those it's filter is rated for.  So if it doesn't have a HEPA rated filter it's continuously recirculating the particles with the greatest potential to do us harm.  If the OP doesn't care that's his business.  

I couldn't agree with you more about many DC systems.  That's one of the reasons I blow the exhaust from mine outside after it goes through my cyclone. DC's and point of use vacuum cleaners are great at capturing chips and large sawdust, something an air filter can't do.  A good cyclone will capture a lot of the fine dust too.  And if you exhaust your DC outside it cleans the fine, airborne dust out of your shop, too, through the make up it brings in.  The best filter is none at all; it's fresh air.  Doing so doesn't make my shop cold either, and I live in WNY with seemingly endless Winter.  Good grief, it's April and it's snowing right now.   

John
(04-17-2018, 12:28 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Disagree all you like.  An air filter gathers no particle that can't float in the air and only captures those it's filter is rated for.  So if it doesn't have a HEPA rated filter it's continuously recirculating the particles with the greatest potential to do us harm.  If the OP doesn't care that's his business.  

That isn't really correct, HEPA is a much more complicated topic than "if the filter doesn't say HEPA, it can't get the finest particles."  Here is a link to a review on Amazon of a new Jet air cleaner w/ unseasoned filters doing a bang-up job getting sub-micron particles (below), and things will only improve as the filters are seasoned.

The filter has very substantially improved air quality in a short period of time.

https://www.amazon.com/708620B-AFS-1000B...word=dylos

Although far from a scientific test, the preliminary results from my Dylos Air Quality Monitor look very promising. When I got done hanging the filtration unit, I turned on the Dylos meter and got a reading of about 20,000/1,500, where the 20,000 represents the number of 0.5 micron particles counted in 10 seconds of sampling, and the 1,500 is the number of 5 micron particles detected in the same period of time. These are very high numbers, according to Dylos. (The 20,000 was uncharacteristically high, since I was smoking a cigarette at the time, and that will easily double the 0.5 micron count.) After running the filter for about an hour on medium speed, I checked the numbers...they were at about 900/2. That's a very significant drop. I don't recall ever seeing the 0.5 micron number below about 8,000 or 9,000 before. When I get a chance, I intend to do some more testing under real woodworking conditions (and without the smoke skewing the results). I think it's going to definitely help reduce the amount of dust on all the flat surfaces in the shop.