Corded or cordless drill?
John, what model number is your Milwaukee? I've heard pretty good things about most of their drills, and I was eyeing their 2606-22ct 18v cordless model. A few negative reviews have said that the chucks weren't holding the bits well, but something that noticeable, I think would be much more widely mentioned if it was a common issue. They also have at least one 12v cordless model. Is their 12v one good or should I look at one of those from a different brand? Looks like pretty much everyone here is suggesting cordless over corded...I'm beginning to think I should have opted for a cordless jigsaw instead of my corded one. Should I think about making that transition as well at some point?

Also, what's "cabinet work"? Is that ALL furniture or just built-ins? I don't really do built-ins right now, so I'm sure I could do without something needed for that type of work, at least for right now.
Near future projects:

-Curly Maple display case
-Jatoba and Quilted Maple dresser
(06-17-2018, 05:07 PM)KingwoodFan1989 Wrote: John, what model number is your Milwaukee? I've heard pretty good things about most of their drills, and I was eyeing their 2606-22ct 18v cordless model. A few negative reviews have said that the chucks weren't holding the bits well, but something that noticeable, I think would be much more widely mentioned if it was a common issue. They also have at least one 12v cordless model. Is their 12v one good or should I look at one of those from a different brand? Looks like pretty much everyone here is suggesting cordless over corded...I'm beginning to think I should have opted for a cordless jigsaw instead of my corded one. Should I think about making that transition as well at some point?

Also, what's "cabinet work"? Is that ALL furniture or just built-ins? I don't really do built-ins right now, so I'm sure I could do without something needed for that type of work, at least for right now.

I'll have to look what model my Milwaulkee hammer drill is, but I will say that the one thing that annoys me is the chuck.  I holds the bit just fine until you run it and turn it off a few times.  The motor stops so fast and there is enough mass in chuck that it loosens its grip on the drill bit or whatever else is in the chuck.  Very annoying.  

Cabinet work is furniture and cabinets.  95% of the time you don't need, or want, a large or powerful drill or (especially) impact driver.  The 12V models are just right for that type work.  Small and easy to get into tight places, and less power so you aren't as likely to break off screws.  The only exception is for drilling pocket holes.  For that I use the 18V Milwaukee.  

John
(06-17-2018, 06:07 PM)jteneyck Wrote: I'll have to look what model my Milwaulkee hammer drill is, but I will say that the one thing that annoys me is the chuck.  I holds the bit just fine until you run it and turn it off a few times.  The motor stops so fast and there is enough mass in chuck that it loosens its grip on the drill bit or whatever else is in the chuck.  Very annoying.  

Cabinet work is furniture and cabinets.  95% of the time you don't need, or want, a large or powerful drill or (especially) impact driver.  The 12V models are just right for that type work.  Small and easy to get into tight places, and less power so you aren't as likely to break off screws.  The only exception is for drilling pocket holes.  For that I use the 18V Milwaukee.  

John

Okay, which brands have good 12v models?
Near future projects:

Bosch
Bought the 12v drill and impact gun from Amazon.Impact gun has plenty of torque and good battery life.Came with charger and 2 batteries.Love the set.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
(06-17-2018, 06:28 PM)KingwoodFan1989 Wrote: Okay, which brands have good 12v models?

OK, I have the Milwaukee 2607-20 1/2 hammer drill.  As a bare tool it's a real bargain.  

I have the Hitachi 12 V (really 10.8V) drill and impact driver and have absolutely no complaints.  I bought them, two batteries and charger for well under $150 as refurbished tools.  They looked brand new, as did the Milwaukee refurbished tools I bought.  From the feedback I've read, the 12V Milwaukee, Bosch, and Rigid are all good tools.  I'd put my hands on them and then buy whichever feels good and you get the best price on.  

As for your other question about a cordless jigsaw, I guess that depends on how much you plan to work off the grid.  For me, I have no need for one; I'm perfectly happy with my Bosch jigsaw.  On the other hand, I really like my Milwaukee cordless circular saw because I use it for some outside work.  Still, it's not a replacement for a corded circular saw when you need to cut a lot of stock or thick stock, and I doubt a cordless jigsaw would be either.   

John
(06-17-2018, 06:56 AM)fredhargis Wrote: You will eventually need both, each does some things the other can't do. But cordless tools are not a lifetime investment, a corded drill can be (sort of). I find for hobbyist use the 12V models are more than enough.

[Image: latest?cb=20150320192210]
What he said.

Milwaukee 12V for indoor shop use.  Rigid 18V for outdoor general construction.  Corded tools for specific dedicated jobs like a high speed drill for stationary Kreg jig use and a big effin' Milwaukee Hole Hawg for BIG EFFIN' HOLES as necessary.
(06-17-2018, 06:56 PM)jteneyck Wrote: OK, I have the Milwaukee 2607-20 1/2 hammer drill.  As a bare tool it's a real bargain.  

I have the Hitachi 12 V (really 10.8V) drill and impact driver and have absolutely no complaints.  I bought them, two batteries and charger for well under $150 as refurbished tools.  They looked brand new, as did the Milwaukee refurbished tools I bought.  From the feedback I've read, the 12V Milwaukee, Bosch, and Rigid are all good tools.  I'd put my hands on them and then buy whichever feels good and you get the best price on.  

As for your other question about a cordless jigsaw, I guess that depends on how much you plan to work off the grid.  For me, I have no need for one; I'm perfectly happy with my Bosch jigsaw.  On the other hand, I really like my Milwaukee cordless circular saw because I use it for some outside work.  Still, it's not a replacement for a corded circular saw when you need to cut a lot of stock or thick stock, and I doubt a cordless jigsaw would be either.   

John

Just looked at the reviews for that Hammer Drill. Quite a few of the 1 and 2 star reviewers said negative things about the chuck...definitely a higher percentage of them than I saw with the Milwaukee 2606-22ct. The Milwaukee has great reviews overall on Amazon, but one or two of the lower reviews said similar things about the chuck that you said about your hammer drill. Seems to be the fault of the breaking system. The Hitachi didn't have that problem listed. 

As for the Ridgid, I checked the scores on Amazon for those, and they're significantly lower than either the Milwaukee or Hitachi. TBH, I've become a bit disillusioned with Ridgid and Ryobi after seeing mixed reviews and my own first impressions. Although for years I tried to delude myself into thinking my Ridgid 10" miter saw was a good one, it's really a piece of junk. It runs and cuts alright, but the blade guard action and positive stops both became stiff and unreliable (and inaccurate in the case of the stops) VERY early on into its use. Plus, the fences aren't even parallel, and there seems to be no way to adjust them beyond grinding one side down (not worth it). Yeah, one tool may not mean the whole brand is bad, but the mixed reviews are a turn off to me as well. I'll probably get a DeWalt miter saw when I get the money.

Looks like the Hitachi is my best bet so far for a 12V drill.
Near future projects:

1) Modern Lithium batteries and smart chargers no longer require running the batteries down.

2) I have been a pro woodworker for 30 years. I do not own a corded drill. Never really felt the need. Under all but the most unusual circumstances, modern batteries charge faster than you use it up. 

Honestly, in the last year, the only time I have even thought about wanting a corded drill was when drilling in my masonry walls to put up shutters before hurricane Irma last fall. My Ryobi 18v hammer drill not only did my house but them my neighbor finished his. Loads of drilling with the hammer feature over two days. We never ran down one battery in less time than the other charged. 

These 18v Lithium batteries charge in about 30 minutes.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
Started with Bosch 12v when they first came out in  2007. Have a drill, 2 impacts, 2 drivers, an i driver,  led light & recp saw. Other than a warranty repair on an impact all including batteries are still going strong.
Also bought into the Milwaukee 12v around the same time, tools were good, batteries, junk. My newer batteries are holding up fine, recently bought the 12v stapler, awesome tool.

My 20v DeWalts have held up as good as the little Bosch tools. The chuck on the dcd980 drill has an iron grip, one has to abuse it badly to get any slippage.

Just one quirk with it.....any 1/2" chuck I've ever had will take a slightly larger bit. Don't EVER press your luck with the DeWalt. It locked up solid on a 17/32 drill. Had a heck of a time getting it to release.

Ed
I think I own 4 corded drills.  Two of them should go, just 3/8" standard drills.  I am going to keep the 1/2" slow speed drill that I use for cutting bigger holes and the hammer drill.  Hammer drill might go if I get a cordless SDS drill